Michigan Industry Cluster Approach (MICA)
MICA creates a framework in which many employers within a single industry engage with the workforce system to identify their demand. In this approach, talent issues may be handled more efficiently through multi-company, industry-focused training programs. Regionally, Michigan Works! Agencies (MWAs) convene employers along with education providers, economic development organizations, and other groups associated with workforce development to solve talent challenges. Local industry clusters are formed based on local needs and are led by employers. There are currently over 40 formally identified industry cluster groups throughout Michigan. The Cluster Team develops statewide policy and provides technical assistance to support regional cluster activity.
- MICA Toolkit for Success
- MICA White Paper
- MICA Industry Cluster Groups Map
- MICA Guidelines
- MICA Facts
- The primary strategy of WDA focuses on aligning all efforts around priority industry clusters for a demand-driven workforce system. Through extensive labor market research, WDA has initially identified five state priority industry clusters: Agriculture, Energy, Health Care, Information Technology & Media, and Manufacturing. WDA has identified a team of specialists within these five clusters to drive workforce development efforts toward meeting the skill needs within these clusters. What is an Industry Cluster? A cluster is a geographic concentration of related employers, industry suppliers, and support institutions in a product or service field. For the purposes of workforce development, Michigan's clusters are broad industry sectors. There is growing evidence that industry clusters are an effective organizing framework for positively impacting economic and workforce development activities. More than 25 states have adopted cluster strategies as the way to do business. Michigan is taking this strategy to the next level by implementing the Michigan Industry Cluster Approach throughout the workforce system.
This e-newsletter was created in order to share information, best practices, and events with partners and stakeholders of the Michigan Industry Cluster Approach. We hope that you find this information of use and look to you for future news and articles. If you have anything you would like to share, please email MICA@michigan.gov.
- April 28, 2016 Issue >
- October 6, 2015 Issue >
- July 15, 2015 Issue >
- April 1, 2015 Issue >
- December 18, 2014 Issue >
- October 7, 2014 Issue >
- Updated Michigan Industry Cluster Workforce Reports (September 2014)
- Michigan Industry Cluster Workforce Reports (January 2013)
- Labor Supply/Demand Profiles and Labor Shed Studies
- Cluster Strategies Team Contact Information