Skip to main content

I received an email or letter saying I have an incorrect name and/or SSN on my 1095-C. What should I do?

You received this communication because the IRS notified the State that you or your dependent's name/SSN combination did not match IRS records.  House and Senate employees, as well as any Executive Branch employees who work for agencies that do not participate with MIHR should call their applicable HR offices and verify their name/SSN on file as well as their dependents.

All other employees may contact the MIHR Service Center at 1-877-766-6447 (Option #1).