The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
EXECUTIVE ORDER No. 2009 - 41
GOVERNOR'S OFFICE OF FAITH-BASED AND NEIGHBORHOOD PARTNERSHIPS
WHEREAS, Section 1 of Article V of the Michigan Constitution of 1963 vests the executive power of the State of Michigan in the Governor;
WHEREAS, Section 2 of Article V of the Michigan Constitution of 1963 empowers the Governor to make changes in the organization of the executive branch of state government or in the assignment of functions among its units that the Governor considers necessary for efficient administration;
WHEREAS, the Governor's Office of Community and Faith-Based Initiatives was created within the Department of Human Services by Executive Order 2005-6;
WHEREAS, due to current economic conditions, it is necessary to strengthen the ability of faith-based and neighborhood organizations to effectively deliver vital services and to do so in partnership with federal, state, and local governments and with other private organizations;
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Jennifer M. Granholm, Governor of the State of Michigan, by virtue of the power and authority vested in the Governor by the Michigan Constitution of 1963 and Michigan law, order the following:
A. Section I.B. of Executive Order 2005-6 is amended to read as follows:
"B. "Governor's Office of Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships" or Office" means the office created within the Department under this Order."
B. Section II. of Executive Order 2005-6 is amended to read as follows:
"II. CREATION OF GOVERNOR'S OFFICE OF FAITH-BASED AND NEIGHBORHOOD PARTNERSHIPS".
C. Section III. of Executive Order 2005-6 is amended to read as follows:
"III. FUNCTIONS OF GOVERNOR'S OFFICE OF FAITH-BASED AND NEIGHBORHOOD PARTNERSHIPS".
D. Section III.A. of Executive Order 2005-6 is amended to read as follows:
"1. Advise the Governor on policies, priorities, and objectives for state government activities to enlist, equip, enable, empower, and expand the work of community and faith-based organizations to address social needs in Michigan, to enhance partnerships with governmental entities, and to replicate successful community and faith-based programs. The Office shall provide other information, recommendations, or advice as requested by the Governor.
2. Facilitate coordination of state government efforts relating to community and faith-based initiatives, expand opportunities for community and faith-based organizations to address social needs in Michigan, and identify obstacles to effective and efficient collaboration.
3. Ensure that services paid for with state and federal funds are provided in a manner consistent with fundamental constitutional commitments guaranteeing the equal protection of the laws and the free exercise of religion and prohibiting laws respecting an establishment of religion.
4. Promote effective training for persons providing federally funded social services in faith-based and neighborhood organizations.
5. Promote the better use of program evaluation and research, in order to ensure that organizations deliver services as specified in grant agreements, contracts, memoranda or understanding, and other arrangements.
6. Provide a single point of contact for community and faith-based organizations to receive information, assistance, and referrals related to community and faith-based programs within state government.
7. Work closely with community and faith-based organizations to promote service activities and assist the organizations in identifying and applying for federal grants.
8. Identify, promote, and share innovative and model community and faith-based programs, initiatives, and best practices among community and faith-based organizations.
9. Seek financial support for the community and faith-based efforts of state government and for community and faith-based programs and services, including, but not limited to, application for funding to the Corporation for National and Community Service and other entities that administer federal grants to support the objectives established by the Office for community and faith-based programs.
10. Provide technical assistance, education, information, and other support to community and faith-based organizations.
11. Coordinate efforts with the Michigan Community Service Commission and other state departments and agencies as appropriate."
This Order is effective upon filing.
Given under my hand and the Great Seal of the State of Michigan this 20th day of August in the year of our Lord, two thousand and nine.
JENNIFER M. GRANHOLM
BY THE GOVERNOR:
SECRETARY OF STATE