Skip to main content

Can I get credit for military or work experience?

Your life experience is valuable and will help you succeed in college. It may even help you graduate faster. Some colleges give academic credit for military or work experience.

  • For military training and education to be considered for academic credit, you must submit an official Joint Services Transcript (JST) to your college. You can request your JST.
  • For work experience to be considered for academic credit, ask an enrollment advisor at your college what their policies are and whether your work experience is eligible. Colleges have different processes and requirements for evaluating your work experience for college credit. You can search for your college’s specific policies on their website by searching “credit for prior learning.”
  • For CLEP exam scores to be considered for academic credit: Depending on your work and life experience, you may be able to earn college credit through the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) exams. CLEP exams help students earn college credit for what they already know. Learn more about CLEP exams and whether your college offers credits for passing the exam. Modern States is a nonprofit organization that offers free, online classes that help prepare you to pass CLEP exams. View their course catalog.