Skip to main content

Energy & Weatherization

If you need help paying for energy and weatherization costs, and you meet eligibility requirements, you may be able to get help from state programs that uses federal money to assist low-income families with energy costs.
  • Home Heating Credit
  • State Emergency Relief
  • Weatherization Assistance Program
Weatherization Can
Save You Money
Weatherization services could reduce your heating costs by 20-25 percent, saving you about $450 each year!
Weatherization Logo

Home Heating Credit May Affect the Amount of Food Assistance You Receive.

Home Heating Credit

State Emergency Relief

Weatherization Assistance

The Home Heating Credit offers support for heating costs. Michigan Department of Treasury determines eligibility and makes payments.

Keep in mind:

  • You do not need to file a state income tax return to receive the Home Heating Credit.
  • You may apply for the Home Heating Credit only.
  • Eligibility is based on income, number of exemptions and household heating costs.

State Emergency Relief is a crisis intervention program that provides assistance for energy-related expenses such as heating fuel, electricity and home repairs.

Eligibility is based on:

  • Demonstration of immediate need (past due/shutoff notice); or
  • Declared need for a deliverable fuel such as fuel oil; or
  • Verified need for energy-related home repair; and
  • Income; and
  • Assets.

Weatherization Assistance Program provides free home energy conservation services to low-income Michigan homeowners and renters. Services reduce energy use and lower utility bills.

Services typically include:

  • Wall Insulation.
  • Attic Insulation and Ventilation.
  • Foundation Insulation.
  • Air Leakage Reduction.
  • Smoke Detectors.
  • Dryer Venting.

Review the Home Heating Credit Claim Instruction Book for more details and complete the MI-1040CR-7 Claim Form to apply. Current year forms are available on the Treasury website.

Forms are automatically mailed to households that received a credit last year. Applications are available from mid- to late January and may be made through September 30 of each year.

Apply online using MI Bridges.

Heating fuel has an annual maximum of $450 to $850 depending on the fuel type (maximum payment may change based on available funding). DHHS will only issue one payment for heat and one payment for non-heat electricity between October 1 and September 30 each year, up to the fiscal year cap. A SER payment for heat or non-heat electricity service qualifies your household for additional energy services through the Michigan Energy Assistance Program (MEAP). Please call 2-1-1 for a referral to a MEAP grantee to see what other assistance you may be eligible to receive. State energy-related home repairs have a $4,000 lifetime limit per household.


Services are administered by local Community Action Agencies and nonprofit organizations. Contact your local Weatherization Operator to get started.

Eligibility is based on household income being at or below 200 percent of the federal poverty guidelines. If you receive cash assistance administered by the Department of Human Services or Supplemental Security Income, you automatically qualify for this no-cost program.