What is AmeriCorps?
- AmeriCorps is a national service program designed to strengthen citizenship and the ethic of service by engaging thousands of Americans on a full-time or part-time basis to help communities to address their toughest challenges. The Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) administers AmeriCorps at the federal level and works in partnership with states to develop service programs and create a community-based national service network. The Michigan Community Service Commission (MCSC) is the administrative agent for Michigan's AmeriCorps.
- "Made In AmeriCorps!" – 2014 Michigan's AmeriCorps Member Celebration More than 400 Michigan's AmeriCorps State, VISTA, and National members came together in Lansing on November 20, 2014 for a day of training, networking, and recognition. The event, hosted by the Michigan Community Service Commission, helped prepare AmeriCorps members for their year of service and celebrate the courage of their commitment.
- Available Positions with Michigan's AmeriCorps Programs Interested in becoming a Michigan's AmeriCorps member? Click here to learn which programs are currently recruiting members!
- Funds Available For New and Re-Competing Michigan's AmeriCorps Programs Federal funds are available to support new and recompeting Michigan's AmeriCorps programs to start in the fall of 2015 for a 12-month program cycle.
- AmeriCorps 20th Anniversary On September 20, 2013, CNCS kicked off our celebration of the extraordinary impact of AmeriCorps and its 20 years of serving America. Through events, stories, and service projects, CNCS and the MCSC will recognize the contributions and commitment of AmeriCorps members and alums in strengthening our communities and country through national service. The resources on this page will help you promote two decades of "getting things done!"
- Governor Snyder, Mayor Bing launch expansion of AmeriCorps Governor & Mayor Initiative Urban Safety Corps Gov. Rick Snyder and Mayor Dave Bing today announced the launch and expansion of an innovative crime reduction model in the city of Detroit: the AmeriCorps Governor & Mayor Initiative Urban Safety Corps Program. A unique public-private partnership, the program utilizes 36 AmeriCorps members as catalysts to mobilize and recruit community volunteers to join them in improving public safety in targeted Detroit neighborhoods.
Member/Site Supervisors of the Month
- Michigan's AmeriCorps Member of the Month FEBRUARY 2015: Keshara Mumford's service as an AmeriCorps member with the Healthy Kids Healthy Futures Partnership AmeriCorps program helped her realize she needed to change her college major because she wanted a profession that focused solely on helping others. She especially enjoys advocating for youth and helping kids overcome challenges. Keshara is now pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Social Work from Saginaw Valley State University in addition to serving a second year of service as a part-time ...
- Michigan's AmeriCorps Site Supervisor of the Month FEBRUARY 2015: As the Manager of Site Based Programs and Recruitment for the Detroit office of Big Brothers Big Sisters, Antoine Jackson, manages and oversees a site-based team that coordinates matching programs out of elementary–high schools and local businesses. Antoine oversees the grants and funding requests, as well as the logistics for these programs. He is also a site supervisor for the Mentoring to Access Corps AmeriCorps program. In both of his roles at Big Brothers Big Sisters, Antoine's ...
- Michigan's AmeriCorps Site Supervisor of the Month FEBRUARY 2015: Lavel Jackson has worked in more than 15 schools and nonprofit organizations, all in an effort to build meaningful relationships with youth. He is employed with Boy Scouts of America and has several responsibilities. In addition to establishing and maintaining partnerships with schools to do after-school programming focused on healthy living, Lavel is responsible for creating lesson plans and daily discussions for youth at the various program sites. He also oversees three AmeriCorps ...
AmeriCorps Alums/Alum of the Month
- Michigan's AmeriCorps Alum Spotlight FEBRUARY 2015: Kaye Sutherland took a leap of faith by becoming a full-time AmeriCorps member with the AmeriCorps Urban Safety program in 2013 because it felt like ‘the right thing to do.' She quickly realized that it was that – but it turned out to be so much more. "AmeriCorps provided me with a new beginning that I was excited about, and inadvertently supported positive changes in my life," Kaye stated. "There is a great deal of energy and passion required to serve with AmeriCorps; it's not ...
- AmeriCorps Alums Calling all friends of AmeriCorps! Join AmeriCorps alums, current AmeriCorps members, and champions of service in the AmeriCorps Alums network. Registration is free and entitles you to many benefits, including career search assistance, discounts, and networking opportunities.