What is AmeriCorps?
- AmeriCorps is a national service program designed to strengthen citizenship and the ethic of service by engaging thousands of Americans on a full-time or part-time basis to help communities to address their toughest challenges. The Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) administers AmeriCorps at the federal level and works in partnership with states to develop service programs and create a community-based national service network. The Michigan Community Service Commission (MCSC) is the administrative agent for Michigan's AmeriCorps.
- "Made In AmeriCorps!" - 2015 Michigan's AmeriCorps Member Celebration More than 450 Michigan's AmeriCorps State, VISTA, and National members will come together in Lansing on November 19, 2015 for a day of training, networking, and recognition. The event, hosted by the Michigan Community Service Commission, will help prepare AmeriCorps members for their year of service and celebrate the courage of their commitment.
- Funds Available For New and Recompeting Michigan's AmeriCorps Programs Federal funds are available to support new and recompeting Michigan's AmeriCorps programs to start in the fall of 2016 for a 12-month program cycle.
- Available Positions with Michigan's AmeriCorps Programs Interested in becoming a Michigan's AmeriCorps member? Click here to learn which programs are currently recruiting members!
Member/Site Supervisors of the Month
- Michigan's AmeriCorps Member of the Month
SEPTEMBER 2015: After graduating from Northern Michigan University with a Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Science and a minor in Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Matt Claucherty decided to apply for the Huron Pines AmeriCorps program. He is now in the process of completing his second full-time term of service and is placed with the Tip of the Mitt Watershed Council in Petoskey, Michigan.
- Michigan's AmeriCorps Site Supervisor of the Month
SEPTEMBER 2015: As the Executive Director of the Capital Area Health Alliance, Kathy Hollister is passionate about fully engaging and empowering the community to address a variety of healthcare issues. Kathy is also a site supervisor for the Power of We Consortium AmeriCorps program, which focuses on nutrition education to reduce obesity and chronic diseases and increasing food access through gardening, food distribution, and referrals.
AmeriCorps Alums/Alum of the Month
- Michigan's AmeriCorps Alum Spotlight
SEPTEMBER 2015: Before doing AmeriCorps, Kelli Beavers knew she wanted to make a difference in the world but wasn’t sure what that would look like. As she was finishing college, Kelli began looking for an opportunity to serve, hoping that would give her some perspective and allow her some time to figure out what to do next. Her search led her to AmeriCorps NCCC, which is a full-time, team-based residential program for men and women age 18-24.
- AmeriCorps Alums Calling all friends of AmeriCorps! Join AmeriCorps alums, current AmeriCorps members, and champions of service in the AmeriCorps Alums network. Registration is free and entitles you to many benefits, including career search assistance, discounts, and networking opportunities.