The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Incidents like the shooting at Oxford High School or the Kalamazoo shootings in 2016 show the importance of remaining vigilant, reporting suspicious activity, and having a plan to prevent and respond to an active shooter. Remember: If an active shooter incident should occur, the best thing to do is to "Run, Hide and Fight."
- Sign up for an active shooter training.
- If you see something, say something to an authority right away.
- Sign up to receive local emergency alerts and register your work and personal contact information with any work sponsored alert system.
- Be aware of your environment and any possible dangers.
If you find yourself in an active shooting event, remember:
- RUN if a safe path is available. Always try to escape or evacuate even if others insist on staying.
- Encourage others to leave with you, but do not let the indecision of others slow down your effort to escape.
- Once you are out of the line of fire, try to prevent others from walking into the danger zone and call 9-1-1.
- If you cannot get out safely, find a place to HIDE.
- When hiding, turn out lights, remember to lock doors, and silence your ringer and vibrations mode on your cell phone.
- As a last resort, working together or alone, act with aggression, use improvised weapons, and FIGHT.
More Information/Additional Resources:
MichTip – Michigan’s 24/7 suspicious activity reporting tool: Online or call 855-MICHTIP (855-642-4847) (Link)
OK2SAY – Michigan’s 24/7 confidential reporting tool for tips regarding public and private school violence (Link)
See Somthing, Say Something - Signs of Terrorism Flyer (PDF)
MIReady Family Preparedness Guide (PDF)
MIReady Family Emergency Plan (PDF)
If You See Something. Say Something. - Shareable videos for social media about the importance of reporting suspicious activity (Link)
Department of Homeland Security - Active Shooter Preparedness Booklet (PDF)
Ready.gov - Mass attacks in crowded and public places (Link)
Emergency Operations Planning Guidance - Active Shooter Guide for Business (Link)
Emergency Operations Planning Guidance - Guide for Developing School Emergency Operations Plans (Link)
Emergency Operations Planning Guidance - Houses of Worship (Link)
Emergency Operations Planning Guidance - Health Care Facilities (Link)