New Business Registration
How do I register for Business Taxes?
- Begin at Michigan Treasury Online (MTO).
- For new users “Create a User Profile”.
- Set up your User ID and Password.
- Go to Account Log In.
- Log in to MTO using your new MTO User ID and Password.
- Begin creating your business relationship by selecting “Create a New Business Relationship”.
- Select "I do have an FEIN".
- Select start and eRegistration.
- Upon Completion of the eRegistration, return to Michigan Treasury Online.
- Log in to your MTO Account.
- Select “Create a New Business Relationship”.
- Enter your FEIN from your newly eRegistered business.
- Choose the type of task you will perform on behalf of your business
- Manage Business Account Information (Business registration and file and pay)
- File and Pay Sales, Use and Withholding taxes
- Answer the security questions on behalf of the business.
- An Access Code will be emailed to the email address that you used when you created your user profile.
- Once you have entered the Access Code and hit “Submit”, the business card of the business you established a relationship to will appear on your home page.
- Select the business card, you can now perform tasks on behalf of your business with the Michigan Department of Treasury.
- IRS Notice: Application for Employer Identification Number (EIN)
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) now requires the Application for Employer Identification Number (EIN), to clearly identify the applicant's true owner. All EIN applications (mail, fax, phone, and electronic) must disclose the name and taxpayer identification number of the true "responsible party" for the entity.
- e-Registration for Michigan Taxes
- Register for Streamlined Sales Tax Project
If you register for the Streamlined Sales Tax Project, you must also use this link to discontinue your streamline registration when you sell or discontinue your business.