Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

family of 4

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I know if my child is eligible for assistance from the CSN Fund?

Your child must be a Michigan resident, under age 21, a U.S. citizen, and enrolled in OR eligible to enroll in, the Children's Special Health Care Services (CSHCS) Program. If the child is not a U.S. citizen, the parent(s) must be a non-citizen lawfully admitted for permanent residence, or a lawfully admitted migrant farm worker (i.e., temporary agricultural worker). 

There are approximately 2,700 medical diagnoses currently covered by CSHCS.  Factors considered for CSHCS eligibility include: diagnosis, severity, chronicity and need for treatment by a physician specialist. For further information contact your local health department or the CSN Fund office directly at (517) 241-7420. 

My child is not enrolled in CSHCS, can I still apply for help?

Yes.  Children must be enrolled in, or ELIGIBLE to enroll in, CSHCS to apply.  If your child is not enrolled, you must submit medical information detailing his/her diagnosis and a letter of medical necessity from the child's specialist for the equipment that is being recommended.

If the CSN Fund pays for one item can I still apply for help with other things?

Yes, however, there are limits in place for many of the items the CSN Fund covers.  Details are explained in the guidelines portion of the application .

If another agency or organization is helping with the equipment I am requesting, will the CSN Fund still consider my request?

Yes, the CSN Fund frequently partners with other organizations to assist families.

Does the CSN Fund cover computers?

No, computers, tablets, or other similar devices are not covered.

Is it true that the CSN Fund uses no state or federal money and pays for everything from donations?

Yes. The CSN Fund was created in 1944 with a bequest of Dow Chemical Stock by Dr. James Pardee . Since that time, other individuals have contributed to the Fund allowing it to continue growing and serving thousands of families.

How can I make a donation to the CSN Fund?

You may send a check to the CSN Fund at PO Box 30734 Lansing, Michigan 48909.  All donations are tax-deductible.  Donors receive an acknowledgement letter for their donation which also serves as a receipt for tax purposes.

What should I do when the community resources I contact for assistance will not provide me with a denial letter?

When contacting other agencies and funding sources, write down with whom you speak and the date and time you contacted them on the Documentation of Assistance form (DCH-2423).  When you mail your application package, make sure to include the Documentation of Assistance form.

Does the CSN Fund pay for special beds?

No.  When a special bed is determined to be medically necessary, CSHCS (or other insurance) pays for it.

Does the CSN Fund pay for therapy?

No, the CSN Fund does not pay for therapy.

Does the CSN Fund help children with Autism?

No, Autism is not a covered diagnosis with CSHCS.  In order to receive help from the CSN Fund, you must be eligible for CSHCS.  However, some children with autism have other medical diagnoses that make them eligible for CSHCS.

Does the CSN Fund pay for repairs of any kind?

No, the CSN Fund does not pay for repairs.

I want to go to a conference that deals with my child's diagnosis.  Will the CSN Fund pay for me to go?

The CSN Fund does not directly pay for scholarships to attend conferences, however, the CSN Fund provides a grant to the Family Center for Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs.  A portion of that grant is for conference scholarships to help parents learn more about their child's diagnosis.  Please contact them directly at 1-800-359-3722 to apply for a scholarship.

What other resources should I contact for assistance?

We recommend you contact any other programs or agencies from whom your child is receiving assistance.  This might include Community Mental Health, Michigan Rehabilitation Services, or the Adoption Medical Subsidy Program.  You might also call local charities, churches, and service organizations in your area.

How can I become a vendor?

Individuals or businesses who are interested in becoming a vendor and working with the Children with Special Needs Fund must go throughout the State of Michigan vendor registration process.  You can register at the State of Michigan SIGMA Vendor Self Service or you may call 1-888-737-9749.

Return to CSN Fund Home Page