1. Assist members of the public seeking a public record form the department or agency in navigating the requirements of the Freedom of Information Act or other law applicable to public records, including by providing educational materials on the website of the department or agency.
2. Assist members of the public seeking to participate in a public meeting held by a board or commission within the department or agency in a manner that complies with the Open Meetings Act, including by providing educational materials on the website.
3. Make recommendations to the department or agency for compliance with this directive, to reduce costs relating to public records requests, and to encourage greater transparency.
4. Advocate for the disclosure of public records quickly and in a cost-efficient manner.
5. Advocate for transparency and procedures that encourage public participation in public meetings.
6. Consult with the department or agency’s Freedom of Information Act coordinator regarding compliance with this directive and the Freedom of Information Act.
7. Recommend changes to the department’s or agency’s procedures and guidelines and written public summary of the procedures and guidelines for the department under section 4 of the Freedom of Information Act, MCL 15.234.
In compliance with the Executive Directive, the Department of Military & Veterans Affairs Transparency Liaison is Christine Apostol.
Department of Military & Veterans Affairs
3423 N. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Lansing, MI 48906