Hemlock woolly adelgid community information toolkit
The cooperation of local leaders like you is essential in helping to spread the word about hemlock woolly adelgid. Please share information about HWA in public meetings, with homeowner and community associations, and through your websites, newsletters and local news media.
Presentations: Drew Rayner, the West Michigan HWA Coordinator with the DNR's Forest Health Response Team, is available for presentations in your community. Contact Drew at 517-231-8763 or RaynerD1@Michigan.gov to arrange a presentation.
Print resources: These materials are available at no charge for distribution in offices or at meetings. Contact Drew Rayner at 517-231-8763 or RaynerD1@Michigan.gov for more information.
- Hemlock Woolly Adelgid Forest Pest Alert - printable PDF in large format or small format.
- Hemlock woolly adelgid pocket identification card.
- Hemlock and hemlock woolly adelgid identification and look-alike guide.
Online resources: Use these resources on websites, social media or for distribution or presentation in meetings.
- Hemlock woolly adelgid website: Michigan.gov/HWA - identification and reporting information for website or email use.
- Hemlock Woolly Adelgid Look-Alikes - printable PDF.
- Hemlock Woolly Adelgid: Invasive Species in Michigan - YouTube video.
- HWA in Michigan - Recommendations for Landowners (MDARD) - printable PDF.
- How to treat hemlock trees - guidelines for homeowners (MSUE) - printable PDF.
- Insecticide application limits for treating hemlock woolly adelgid - printable PDF.
Infestation maps: Use these resources on websites or for presentations. Note that linking to the maps rather than posting the PDFs on your website is recommended, as they are regularly updated.