ADA Compliance Division
'The ADACD is off to a busy start. We conducted two trainings for the department ADA coordinators (ADACs).
- On Tuesday, January 19, 2021 we presented "The Role of the ADA Coordinator".
- On Tuesday, January 26, 2021, we presented, "What is a Disability?".
We have at least three trainings scheduled in February 2021. Specifically:
- The ADACD is teaming up with Marcelina Trevino, Director, MDCR Office of Legal Affairs and the Michigan Rehabilitation Services (MRS) to present Disability Etiquette and ADA Title I & Title II Compliance, to the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) on Wednesday, February 10, 2021.
- On Tuesday, February 22, 2021, we are presenting Reasonable Accommodations & the Interactive Process to the ADACs.
- On Wednesday, February 23, 2021, we are presenting How to Investigate ADA Title II Cases to the ADACs
On March 30, 2021, the ADACD is hosting Robin Jones, Director of the Great Lakes ADA Centers, who will present "ADA- Title I, Title II and Title III" to the ADACs
We are working with the Division on Deaf, DeafBlind and Hard of Hearing (DODDBHH) and the Michigan Historical Center (MHC) on creating video interviews with people recounting personal stories of disability advocacy and the history of disability advocacy in Michigan. Several proposed videos are with Attorney General Dana Nessel interviewing Annie Urasky, Director, DODDBHH [AG Nessel is proficient in American Sign Language (ASL)]; Secretary of State Benson interviewing Pat Cannon; and a conversation between Duncan Wyeth and John Sanford on the history of disability advocacy in Michigan.
We are planning several meet & greets with the disability community for 2021. We are also planning two virtual listening series on law enforcement and the disability community and the intersection of race and disability. As always, more to come!