Skip to main content

Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver

Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver applications are processed by the Michigan Department of Lifelong, Education, Advancement, and Potential (MiLEAP). 

To apply for the Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver, you must:

  • Complete the student section of the Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver (MITW) Application.
  • Submit the MITW application (and attached documentation) to your Tribal Enrollment Department for certification.
  • Ensure that your entire application, including the tribally-certified section, and accompanying documents are submitted to MiLEAP for verification.

Typically, your Tribe will submit the documents to MiLEAP after they complete their section of the application; however, they may return the documents to you. It is your responsibility to ensure the completed application and required documents are submitted.

Download the Application

Please review prior to applying:

  • You must provide the following with your MITW application:

    • A photocopy of your Tribal ID
  • To be eligible for the MITW, you must meet the following criteria:

    • Qualify for admission at one of Michigan's public colleges or universities AND
    • Be ¼ or more Native American blood quantum as certified by your Tribal Enrollment Department AND
    • Are an enrolled citizen of a U.S. Federally Recognized Tribe as certified by your Tribal Enrollment Department AND
    • Be a legal resident of the state of Michigan for not less than 12 consecutive months
  • Your MITW residency status does not determine your residency status at your institution. Your institution may require additional documentation as proof of residency or to determine your length of residency in Michigan.

  • You must submit this application to your Tribal Enrollment Department for certification and signature.

    The Tribal Enrollment Department is certifying that the you, the student, are ¼ or more Native American blood quantum and an enrolled citizen of a U.S. Federally Recognized Tribe. The Tribal Enrollment Department may submit this form and accompanying documents on your behalf to MiLEAP for verification.

  • The statute does not limit tuition waiver eligibility based upon full/part-time status, degree track, academic performance, or similar criteria - and such information will not affect MiLEAP verification.

  • If you have never submitted an application to MiLEAP, you must complete the entire application, filling out the 'new student' box, obtain tribal certification, and submit all documents to MiLEAP according to the instructions.

    If you have previously applied and been verified by MiLEAP, complete only the Student Section of the application and fill out the 'continuing student' box. The transfer/dual enrollment section must be completed, but Tribal Certification does not need to be obtained.

Still have questions?

Review our Frequently Asked Questions document.

Read the Policies and Procedures memo which explains why MiLEAP administers this process and how we determined who is eligible for the waiver. 

See the Letter on student eligibility verification sent to universities to confirm that MiLEAP does not require recertification and educational institutions should not determine eligibility. 

Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver information updated: Statement on the Sixth Circuit Court opinion finding Proposal 2 unconstitutional