The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
1. Applicants must be a minimum of 18 years of age and have earned a High School Diploma or General Educational Development (G.E.D.) Certificate.
2. Applicants must currently possess the following:
- At least 15 semester (or 23 term) college credit hours in any academic or degree prerequisite area or;
- If you do not currently possess the minimum education, agree to obtain the required 15 semester (or 23 term) college credits within 24 months after hire or;
- Two years of full-time corrections officer experience in another local, state, federal, or private correctional institution, and currently employed satisfactorily in a corrections officer position, or have left corrections officer employment in satisfactory status may be substituted for the education requirement or;
- Completion of basic training in the uniformed services may be substituted for the education requirement.
MILITARY VETERANS: Currently taking two years of honorable service or good standing (from guard or reserves) in lieu of our 15 college credit requirement (any area of study). Military personnel can receive college credit for their military training by obtaining a Joint Service Transcript. To obtain JST https://jst.doded.mil/official.html
3. The Department of Corrections may screen out job applicants who have been convicted of a felony in accordance with Public Act 191 of 2017. Applicants who have been convicted of a misdemeanor or felony are ineligible for employment with the Department of Corrections until satisfactory completion of any sentence imposed, including parole or probation.
Any questions regarding the minimum qualifications should be directed to the Michigan Department of Corrections, Recruitment Section, P.O. Box 30003, Lansing, MI 48909, Phone 517-335-1874 or toll-free 888-820-7129.