- You trust your partner.
- You treat each other the way you want to be treated, and accept each other's opinions and interests.
- You each feel physically safe in the relationship.
- Your partner likes your friends and encourages you to spend time with them and wants to include them in his/her life as well as yours.
- You make important decisions together.
- Your partner understands when you spend time away from him or her.
- You don't feel responsible for protecting your partner's reputation or for covering for his/her mistakes.
- Your partner encourages you to enjoy different activities (like joining the volleyball team or football team, running for student government, or being in a play) and helps you reach your goals.
- Your partner likes you for who you are – not just for what you look like.
- You are not afraid to say what you think and why you think that way. You like to hear how your partner thinks, and don't always have to agree.
- You have both a friendship and a physical attraction.
- You don't have to be with your partner 24/7.
- Your partner doesn't force sexual activity or insist that you do something that makes you uncomfortable.