- How do I apply for job vacancies in the State of Michigan?
- Is there a way to search for job vacancies that were posted today?
Yes, you can arrange the job vacancies by posting date, salary, or job title using the sort function. Or you can sign up for Job Alerts to be notified via email when a position is posted that matches your identified area(s) of interest.
- How do I search for all job vacancies?
From the State of Michigan Job Openings page, all job vacancies will appear. You can search for specific job postings by Location, Department, Category, and/or Salary by selecting your criteria using the filter function. To clear search criteria, click "Reset All" at the top of the filter window.
- I don't see a job vacancy that I am interested in. Can the system notify me when a particular job is posted?
Yes, the system can notify you when job vacancies are posted if you have signed up to receive Job Alerts. Select Job Alerts from the menu and check the boxes next to each job category you are interested in, or click "Select All" to receive information on all job postings. Click subscribe and complete your personal information. Once the form has been submitted, you will be notified via email for the next 12 months when a position is posted that matches your area of interest.
- I forgot my username and/or password. Is there a way to retrieve that information?
Yes, your username and password can be sent to you via email. Click "Sign In" from the upper right corner and select "Forgot Username?" or "Reset Password," then enter the email address you used to create your profile and click "Submit". You will receive an email at that address containing the requested information.
- Do I have to apply to each job vacancy separately or is there a way to select more than one job at a time?
Yes, you must apply for each job vacancy separately as there may be different requirements and/or questions associated with each position. However, once the first application is complete and submitted, it will be stored in the system and can be used to apply for another job.
- How many job vacancies can I apply for?
You may apply for as many job vacancies as you choose. However, you should pay close attention to the minimum education, experience and any applicable special requirements of the position and only apply for those positions that match your background and experience.
- How do I know if I am qualified for a job vacancy?
On the "Description" tab of the job posting, you will find the minimum education, experience and any special requirements of the position. You can use this information to evaluate if your background meets the requirements.
- What are supplemental questions and how do I submit my answers to these?
Many job postings include supplemental questions. These questions are used to gather job-related information about you and your education or work history. If there are supplemental questions included in a posting, you will find them on the "Questions" tab of the posting. Your answers to these questions are automatically submitted with your application.
- What does Units Completed refer to in the Education section of the application?
When entering education information for a degree that is not completed, select the appropriate academic term (semester or quarters/terms) for the division of an academic year at your institution, then enter the number completed to date.
- I don't have an email address. What can I do?
An email address is required to create an online profile and apply for positions with the State of Michigan.
- I started applying for a job vacancy, but I had to save and come back later. How do I finish applying?
To finish applying for a job vacancy, log into your profile with your username and password. In the "Applications" section, click the "Incomplete" tab to find the job title of the application you were working on. Complete the remainder of the application and submit. Please note that to be considered for a job your online application must be submitted by the closing date and time identified for the position. A position with a closing date of "Continuous" means that applications are continuously evaluated as they are received.
- How do I attach a resume and/or other required documents to my application?
To attach documents to your application, click the "Attachments" tab, then "Add supplemental attachment". Choose the attachment type and upload a file from your computer or from the "Recent Uploads" section. Once all attachments are included, click "Next".
- Is it possible to submit only my resume and/or cover letter for a job vacancy instead of filling out a profile?
No, a resume and/or cover letter cannot substitute for a complete profile.
- How do I print my profile?
Your profile cannot be printed, but you can print your application after you apply for a job vacancy. To print your application, log in to your account and go to "Applications". On the "Submitted" tab, select the title of the postion you would like to print your application for, and click the printer icon in the upper right corner.
- I am an out-of-state resident. Can I apply for job vacancies with the State of Michigan?
Yes, non-residents may apply to any job vacancy as long as it is not an internal-only posting. Those job vacancies are reserved for current State of Michigan employees only.
- I received a confirmation email that I successfully applied for a position online. Should I follow-up or respond to the message?
No, the confirmation email is an automated response to let you know that your application was received. If you are selected to continue in the hiring process, you will be contacted directly by the hiring agency.
- I did not get a confirmation email that my online application was received. Why not?
You should verify that you’ve listed the correct email address on your profile and that you are able to receive emails. If you have spam blockers, the confirmation email may have been received as junk mail. Add http://www.governmentjobs.com/ to your safe senders list to receive future confirmations.
- What happens after I apply for a job vacancy?
Once you submit your application electronically, it is sent directly to the human resources office in the hiring agency, and you will receive a confirmation email immediately. Applications will be screened based on the minimum requirements and other job-related factors to narrow the applicant pool to a manageable number of applicants. Those applicants that best match the job requirements and qualifications will be contacted to continue in the selection process. However, continuation in the selection process does not guarantee employment with the State of Michigan.
- If I apply for a job opening and need to submit documentation with my application, what do I do?
Ideally, all documentation that you would like to include with your application should be submitted at the time you apply and must be submitted before the job vacancy closes. To attach documents to your application, click the "Attachments" tab, then "Add supplemental attachment". Choose the attachment type and upload a file from your computer or from the "Recent Uploads" section. Once all attachments are included, click "Next".
- Is there a data retention policy for applicant profiles?
In accordance with our data retention policies, applicant information including applications and all but the 15 most recent attachments will be purged annually in February.
- What if I need to attach documentation and have already submitted my application?
If you need to attach a document AFTER you’ve submitted an online application, but BEFORE the job vacancy closes, you will need to reapply to the position and add the attachment. Log in to your account and click on the job title of the desired position in the "Applications" section. Once the job posting appears, click “Apply”.
If you receive a message that says, “You have already applied for this position on [month/day/year]. You can re-apply for this position in [number of] days,” then you must contact the human resources office of the hiring agency. The agency contact information can be found on the position posting.
- What if a job vacancy has closed and I need to attach documentation to an application that I have already submitted?
If you need to attach a document to your application AFTER you’ve submitted an on-line application, and AFTER the job vacancy closes, you will need to contact the human resources office of the hiring agency. The agency contact information can be found on the position posting.
- How do I change my contact information?
Once your contact information is updated in your profile, all future applications will have the updated information. To change your contact information, log in and click your name in the upper right corner, then go to "Account". In the Contact Info field, click "Edit" to make the desired changes and "Save".
Note: This does not change your contact information for job vacancies you have already applied to. You will need to contact the human resources office of the hiring agency to update your contact information for those positions. You can find the contact information on the position posting. Log into your profile and click the job title of the submitted application. Locate the "Position Description" link in the "Job Details" tab to find the agency contact information.
- Are military veterans given preference when filling job vacancies within the State of Michigan?
Yes, the State of Michigan does offer veterans' preference in the selection process for eligible veterans or spouses under Civil Service Commission Rule 3-8. However, in order to be considered for a veterans' preference you must be registered with the Civil Service Commission. To receive veterans’ preference requires registration with the Michigan Civil Service Commission.
- When should I expect to hear from the agency about scheduling an interview after a job vacancy expires?
If an applicant is selected for an interview, the length of time it takes to be contacted will depend on the hiring agency.
- What if I applied for a job vacancy and decide that I am no longer interested in the position?
Applicants that are no longer interested in a job vacancy should inform the hiring agency if contacted for an interview.
- How do I obtain a copy of my online application?
You can view your online application after you apply for a job vacancy. To view, log in to your account and click the title of the desired position in the "Submitted" tab of the Applications page.
- How do I get a copy of a job posting that has expired?
A copy of each job posting you have applied to is retained in your profile. To view a posting, log in to your account and select the title of the desired position. Click the "Job Details" tab to view the posting.
- When I apply for a position, will I be notified if I am not selected?
To check the status of your application, log in to your profile. In the "Submitted" section of the Applications page, view the "History" next to the title of the desired position.
- What benefits does the State of Michigan offer its employees?
An overview of benefits for eligible State of Michigan employees can be viewed in the "Benefits" tab of each job posting.
- I have a physical disability and require a special accommodation to participate in an interview. How do I request an accommodation?
Accommodation requests can be made at the time of scheduling an interview.
- I do not have access to a computer and/or the internet. How should I apply for a State of Michigan job vacancy?
Please visit the Michigan Public Libraries webpage for a complete listing of libraries in your area with free public access computers and internet. You can also contact your local Michigan Works! office. The Michigan Civil Service Commission's Office of Career Services can offer assistance as well.
- What if I have additional questions?
If you have additional questions related to the online application system, send an email to MCSC-NEOGOV@michigan.gov.
- Can I apply for job vacancies using a Mac?
- What web browser should I use?
For a better user experience, we recommend using the following browsers:
- Google Chrome
- Microsoft Edge with Chromium