Skip to main content

Can I seek medical care from my primary care physician for a work related injury?

The Workers' Disability Compensation Act entitles you to all reasonable and necessary medical treatment for injuries arising out of and in the course of employment. During the first 28 days when care begins, the State of Michigan’s Workers' Compensation Third Party Administrator, Sedgwick, has the right to select the medical care providers.  After that 28 day period, you are free to change doctors if you wish.  In order to change, you will need to notify Sedgwick and the DMO of your desire to change and provide the name of the physician you select.

A list of clinics and hospitals can be found on the DMO website on the Workers' Compensation page.  The list is provided to assist you in identifying medical facilities in your geographic area and is not intended as a source of referral.