The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Retiree Legal Plan
A legal plan for many common personal legal issues.
In today's world, no matter where you are in your life, you are almost certain to experience life events that have potential legal ramifications
With a legal plan from MetLife, you have the professional legal help you need to protect yourself and your loved ones from legal difficulties.
You have the option to participate in the Legal Plan or the Legal Plan + LifeStages Premium. Both plans give you and eligible family members affordable protection for legal expenses and access to experienced attorneys. Both plans provide a full year of legal coverage for a price that many attorneys charge for just one hour of service1. Your coverage will be renewed automatically each year and may only be cancelled during a Legal Plan open enrollment.
When using MetLife Legal Plans' Network Attorneys, attorney fees are 100% paid-in-full for most covered matters. You can also choose any attorney you'd like and receive reimbursements up to the scheduled maximums.
Review the Legal Plan descriptions by visiting benefitsforlife.org. Locate the section on the right side of the page called "Benefits for Life (BFL) State of Michigan Voluntary Benefit Program for SERS Retirees," then select the drop down "Legal Plan - MetLife Legal Plans."
Legal Plan: Covered Legal Services
- Telephone advice and office consultations on many personal legal matters
- Preparation of wills, codicils, living wills, living trusts and powers of attorney
Attorney representation for matters such as:
- Purchase or sale of your primary or secondary residence
- Divorce (contested and uncontested up to 20 hours per event)
- Debt collection defense
- Warranty/contractor issues
- Online access to our e-panel of attorneys to answer your legal questions, as well access to more than 1,700 self-help documents that are available to members on our website.
Legal Plan + LifeStages Premium: Covered Legal Services
The Legal Plan + LifeStages Premium includes all the benefits of the Legal Plan with the addition of:
- Proactive identity protection for more than 60 types of personal accounts
- Triple Bureau Credit Monitoring
- Social media identity monitoring
- Dark web monitoring
- Senior fraud resolution
- ChildWatch: monitoring suspicious activity of social and personal accounts for dependents up to age 26
- Identity theft insurance of $2M on any financial account (up from $1M in the base plan). Insurance applies to ID theft for registered parents and in-laws
When may I start using my new network of attorneys?
If you enroll during the 2023 Legal Plan enrollment, you may start using your new Legal Plan on September 1, 2023. Look for your welcome letter to be sent to your home shortly after you enroll. For more information, log in to legalplans.com and create an account to begin setting up your account.
1Group legal plans are administered by MetLife Legal Plans, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. In California, this entity operates under the name MetLife Legal Insurance Services. In certain states, group legal plans are provided through insurance coverage underwritten by Metropolitan General Insurance Company, Warwick, RI. For complete details of the coverage, call or write the company.