The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
About Us 2
Financial and Administrative Services
Office of Human Resources
The Office of the General Counsel provides direct legal services to the Civil Service Commission and state personnel director. The office conducts legal research, drafts commission decisions, and drafts and publishes rules and regulations.
The Office of the General Counsel also includes the:
Bureau of Benefits Administration
Bureau of Data and Applications Support
Human Resources Operations
Office of Classification, Selection, and Compensation
Human Resource Training and Development
- Employee Benefits Division: provides assistance with state group-insurance programs for state employees and retirees at 800-505-5011 and www.mi.gov/employeebenefits.
- Disability Management Office (DMO): a service center that administers, approves, and processes FMLA leaves, medical leaves of absence, and workers' compensation claims at 877-443-6362 and www.mi.gov/dmo.
- MI HR Service Center: a service center that provides state employees a single contact for a wide variety of payroll and human-resource transactions, including benefit enrollments and updates due to life events, payroll changes (such as deposit and deduction changes) and HR Self-Service assistance at 877-766-6447 and MI HR Service Center.
- Employee Service Program: provides state employees and eligible family members confidential assistance with personal and work-related concerns at 800-521-1377 and www.mi.gov/esp.
BDAS coordinates within the Civil Service Commission and across other state agencies responsible for interrelated processes in the Human Resources Management Network (HRMN). HRMN is the state's enterprise software system for managing employees' personnel, benefits, and payroll information. BDAS is responsible for allocating resources, budgeting, purchasing, contract administration, program planning, data access, and data reporting. DBAS facilitates use of the HRMN and other system and applications through different work teams. BDAS includes teams for:
- Production Support to serve as the research and development arm for HRMN; help design and test new and innovative application of existing technology; and ensures the system supports, day-to-day, the ongoing efforts of the HR community to serve the needs of state employees and program managers.
- Project Management to assist agency staff and system users with NEOGOV modules (recruitment/selection, performance management, onboarding, and forms delivery); the State of Michigan Learning Center (SOMLC); and HR-focused projects and lean-process-improvement initiatives.
- Special Initiatives to investigate upgrades and improvements to agency applications and lead other future-focused projects.
Division of Data Management
The Division of Data Management oversees teams for:
- Security, Automation, and Self-Service to govern access to the statewide HRMN system; establish data access roles and protocols; develop automated processes to improve operational effectiveness; and manage agency privacy, security, and control procedures.
- Data Management and Reports (DMR) to provide access to data within HRMN and the Management Information Database (MIDB); establish and maintain standard reports; design and execute special reports and data inquiries; develop interfaces with other data systems; and creatively apply system information to enhance HR-related processes.
This area is dedicated to meeting the differing needs of our customers; from job-seekers to state employees and agency human resources personnel. Agency Service Teams are assigned to each state department to help meet the needs of our customers. Other services provided by the Office of Classifications and Selections include HR operations, examination scheduling, exam administration, exam security, career planning, and compensation. Visit the Office of Classifications and Selections page for more information on their services.