MDHHS continues Flint mobile food pantries during March; Department and Food Bank to take extra precautions due to COVID-19
LANSING, Mich. – The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) will continue to provide nutritious food by the truckload to Flint residents throughout March.
MDHHS has provided the Flint mobile food pantries since February 2016 in partnership with the Food Bank of Eastern Michigan in Flint.
Since the outbreak of COVID-19 in Michigan, food pantry distributors are taking extra precautions to keep customers and volunteers protected. Each site is requiring volunteers to wear gloves and masks, clean their hands with hand sanitizer often, and take steps to sanitize distribution buildings throughout the day. Customers do not have to step out of their vehicle to receive food – volunteers are asking the customer to simply open their trunk and they will load up the vehicle with food to reduce contact.
This month’s mobile food pantry distribution will have plenty of delicious, vitamin-rich produce and proteins, including potatoes, apples, ground turkey and cheese.
March dates for distributions are:
- Bethel United Methodist Church, 1309 Ballenger Hwy.
- Monday, March 1, at 10 a.m.
- Monday, March 8, at 10 a.m.
- Monday, March 15, at 10 a.m.
- Monday, March 22, at 10 a.m.
- Monday, March 29, at 10 a.m.
- Asbury United Methodist Church, 1653 Davison Road.
- Tuesday, March 2, at 10 a.m.
- Tuesday, March 9, at 10 a.m.
- Tuesday, March 16, at 10 a.m.
- Tuesday, March 23, at 10 a.m.
- Tuesday, March 30, at 10 a.m.
- Greater Holy Temple, 6702 N. Dort Hwy.
- Thursday, March 4 at 10 a.m.
- Thursday, March 11, at 10 a.m.
- Thursday, March 18, at 10 a.m.
- Thursday, March 25, at 10 a.m.
- Luke’s NEW Life Center, 3115 Lawndale Ave.
- Friday, March 5, at 10 a.m.
- Friday, March 12, at 10 a.m.
- Friday, March 19, at 10 a.m.
- Friday, March 26, at 10 a.m.
Flint residents can also pick up free nutritional food at the three Flint Help Center locations:
Bethel United Methodist Church, 1309 N. Ballenger Highway, open from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Mondays; Asbury United Methodist Church, 1653 Davison Road, open Tuesdays from 10 a.m.-2 p.m.; and Greater Holy Temple, 6702 N. Dort Highway, open Thursdays from 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
Information about additional food distributions will be announced as they are scheduled. To check food distribution schedules, visit the Food Bank of Eastern Michigan website at FBEM.org and find the updated schedule on the Mobile Pantry Distribution page, or call 810-239-4441.
# # #