The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Detroit casino Disassociated Persons may apply now to remove their names from the Gaming Control Board's self-exclusion list
October 28, 2020
Detroit, October 28, 2020 – For the first time in nearly 20 years, persons who voluntarily excluded themselves from the three Detroit casinos for life may apply for removal from the list after at least five years. A new law, Public Act 225 of 2020, allows persons on the Disassociated Persons List maintained by the Michigan Gaming Control Board to ask the agency to remove their names.
“Previously, the state used criminal law to combat a gambling problem for a lifetime, which is an expensive, harsh way to deal with an addiction,” said Richard S. Kalm, executive director, MGCB. “A lifetime ban actually may deter some people from signing up. For others, their life circumstances may have changed. Of course, people with gambling problems may request removal and resume behaviors they sought to prevent by going on the list. I’ve received many requests over the years from people on the Disassociated Persons List who wanted to remove their names, but state law did not offer the option until the new act was signed Oct.16.”
While the Portage-based Michigan Association on Problem Gambling is neutral on gambling activities, the organization’s president, Michael Burke, agrees the change in law may help people seek self-exclusion to address a gambling addiction.
“The majority of our board felt the Disassociated Persons List lifetime ban in Michigan may have acted as a deterrent to gamblers who may be more likely to sign up if they have other self-exclusion options such as a two- or five-year ban available,” Burke said.
Anyone on list who meets the five-year qualification may apply now to remove themselves from the list using a new form on the MGCB website.
The MGCB received its first removal application on Oct. 19.
The removal request form includes full instructions for completion and submission. MGCB has 30 business days to process the request following receipt of a fully completed form. Applicants will receive written notification whether their request was approved or denied based on qualifications via email or U.S. Mail. Questions about the process should be directed to MGCB-DPL@michigan.gov.
As of Oct. 1, the Disassociated Persons List included 4,825 people who banned themselves from the Detroit casinos since 2001. The State of Michigan does not offer self-exclusion from casinos operated by the 12 federally recognized tribes in Michigan, which are regulated by their own gaming commissions and under federal law.
By law, Disassociated Persons List information is available to the MGCB, Michigan Department of Attorney General, Michigan State Police and the Detroit casinos’ management only. A submitted application to remove a name from the list is exempt from disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act and is not open for public inspection. This also is true of the information about persons on the Disassociated Persons List.
Removal from list does not guarantee the three Detroit casinos will grant gaming privileges. A casino may choose to maintain evicted status after the MGCB removes a person’s name from the list. If this happens, the person must contact the property directly, by mail or telephone, to discuss possible reinstatement.
HB 4686, now Public Act 225 of 2020, was sponsored by Rep. Ryan Berman of Commerce Township (District 39).
The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) maintains a 24-hour toll-free helpline, 1-800-270-7117, to call if you or someone you know has a gambling problem. More information is available on the MDHHS website.
"The Michigan Gaming Control Board shall ensure the conduct of fair and honest gaming to protect the interests of the citizens of the State of Michigan."