The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Alpena Combat Readiness Training Center (CRTC) (Alpena, Alpena County)
EGLE Site Lead: Christiaan Bon, BonC@Michigan.gov or 989-370-9624. Webpage last updated: January 3, 2022
The Alpena CRTC is an active Michigan Air National Guard (ANG) training facility and is located seven miles west of the city of Alpena. As part of the United States Air Force (USAF) comprehensive approach to protect human health, several areas of the Alpena CRTC were tested for PFAS. The Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE) was made aware of this site when the Department of Military and Veterans Affairs notified EGLE on October 2, 2017, of groundwater samples collected on-base on May 16, 2017. The samples detected PFAS in groundwater at levels above the Lifetime Health Advisory level (LHA) of 70 ppt.
- On December 6, 2021, EGLE received results of surface water sampling from areas surrounding Alpena CRTC. Of 23 total surface water samples, 3 exceeded surface water criteria of 12 ppt PFOS.
- The Air National Guard, EGLE, and DHHS held a virtual town hall on December 15, 2021.
- AECOM will continue to monitor new residential sampling requests and call residents to set up sampling dates and times as directed by EGLE.
- AECOM will create report of water and sediment sampling completed in September 2021.
- The site is currently in the Remedial Investigation phase. The ANG and EGLE have met to discuss the Remedial Investigation work plan. Field work is schedule to start in Spring 2022.
Residential Well Testing/Alternate Water Information
- DHHS has completed three rounds of drinking water well resampling in the study area.
- Households with detections of PFAS have been provided point of use filters and replacement cartridges by District Health Department #4.
- All residential well testing reflected on this report has been conducted by EGLE.
- For additional information on residential well testing and results, visit the Frequently Asked Questions.
- If you live in the designated area for free water testing, please fill out and send the Request for Water Testing for Alpena Area email form.
Upcoming Community Engagement
- None at this time.
Sampling Results Summary
Type of Sample
Number of Sample
Number of Samples
December 6, 2021
|Surface Water||Through December 6, 2021||23||3|
* Residential well results are compared to EGLE Part 201 Criteria for 7 PFAS compounds: PFOS (16 ppt), PFOA (8 ppt), PFNA (6 ppt), PFHxS (51 ppt), PFHxA (400,000 ppt), PFBS (420 ppt), and HFPO-DA (370 ppt).
**Surface Water results are compared to EGLE Part 201 Surface Water Cleanup Criteria for PFOS (12 ppt).
- Other PFAS analytes were detected in samples. There are no federal or state standards for these analytes.
- All sample counts and activities reflect EGLE "off-base" sampling efforts only.
- Two public meetings have been held at the Alpena CRTC.
- October 18, 2017: approximately 200-250 attendees.
- January 18, 2018: approximately 150 attendees.
- On November 7, 2017, EGLE began sampling residential wells. Additional private water well sampling will continue as sampling requests within the designated sampling area are received.
- On February 14, 2019, AECOM collected two residential drinking water samples.
- On March 11, 2019, EGLE received the results from the February residential drinking water sample event.
- On June 13, 2019, AECOM collected one residential well sample.
- On July 8, 2019, AECOM collected one residential well sample.
- AECOM collected one (1) residential well sample on September 9, 2019.
- AECOM collected one (1) residential well sample on September 17, 2019.
- On October 28, 2019, AECOM collected one (1) residential well sample.
- On March 16, 2020, DHHS finished sending out results letters for the first round of drinking water well resampling conducted in December 2019.
- On April 10, 2020, the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) sent a press release detailing January 2020 resampling efforts of residential wells surrounding Alpena CRTC. Results were consistent with EGLE's initial sampling efforts. Results letters were sent to residences that participated in the resampling.
- On November 10, 2020, DHHS finished sending out results letters for the second round of drinking water well resampling conducted in June 2020.
- On January 21, 2021, EGLE and representatives of Alpena CRTC participated in a scoping session for Phase I of the remedial investigation. Air National Guard Anticipates Phase I of the investigation to begin by late Autumn of 2021.
- In January 2021, DHHS conducted the third round of drinking water well resampling in the study area. DHHS is currently working on result letters to well owners.
- On August 30, 2021, EGLE met onsite with ANG to discuss EGLE's upcoming water and sediment sampling around Alpena CRTC.
- On September 3, 2021, EGLE contractors sampled water and sediment in areas adjoining Alpena CRTC.
- On October 5, 2021, EGLE and ANG met onsite to discuss ANG's upcoming Phase I of the Remedial Investigation planned for early 2022.