Forest Waste Superfund Site (Otisville, Genesee County)
EGLE Site Lead: Nic Dawson, DawsonN1@Michigan.gov or 517-897-0912. Webpage last updated April 29, 2021.
The 120-acre Forest Waste Products site is located in Forest Township near the corner of Farrand Road and North Gale Road. Waste disposal areas on site include an 11-acre landfill and nine former lagoons that span a total area of one acre. The landfill accepted waste materials from 1973 to 1978. Waste disposal operations contaminated soil and groundwater. The former lagoons were cleaned up in 1989 and the landfill capped in 1997. Groundwater monitoring has been taking place both on- and off-site since 1993.
The groundwater flow in this area is to the north/northwest away from the landfill. There is no potential to impact waterbodies in this area because all the detections of PFAS are all located on-site. Sampling locations between the site and residential drinking water wells to the west and north had no detections of PFAS.
- On October 24-26, 2018, the site consultant tested for PFAS in groundwater at the Site boundaries. Six monitoring wells were sampled in the shallow aquifer and five monitoring wells were sampled in the deep aquifer. All results were either non-detect or below the criteria in place in 2018. Additional sampling was requested by the EPA and EGLE and was completed in December 2019 and January 2020. Sample results were below the criteria that were in place at the time. When criteria was updated in 2020, four of the wells sampled were found to have concentrations of PFOA above criteria, the highest result was 56.9 ppt.
- In October 2020, additional PFAS sampling was conducted by the site's consultant. Results will be summarized in the annual groundwater sampling report.
- EGLE is waiting for the results of the October 2020 PFAS sampling. Upon receipt of these results additional analysis will be made to determine whether any additional actions are needed.
Residential Well Testing/Alternate Water Information
- EGLE consulted with the Local Health Department and Michigan Department of Health and Human Services on residential wells in the area. No residential well sampling is planned at this time.
Upcoming Community Engagement
- None scheduled at this time.
Sampling Results Summary
Type of Sample
Date Sampled (or range)
Number of Sample Results Received
Number of Samples above Criteria*
|Groundwater Monitoring Wells||October 2018 - January 2020||24||4|
- None at this time.