The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Former El DuPont Flint (Flint Township, Genesee County)
EGLE Site Lead: Nicole Sanabria, SanabriaN@Michigan.gov or 517-281-7726. Webpage last updated July 12, 2021.
The Former EI DuPont Flint (DuPont), located at 1555 James P. Cole Boulevard, was formerly owned by EI DuPont De Nemours, and was primarily used for automotive paint and varnish manufacturing from 1901 to 1995. Cleanup of contamination from former facility operations, mainly consisting of petroleum constituents and fuel oil, has been ongoing since the early 2000s. DuPont, now a subsidiary of Corteva Agriscience, remains responsible for remedial actions at the site. EGLE requested PFAS sampling in 2018 because of former product manufacturing.
The facility is located adjacent to the Flint River, and groundwater flow is east toward the river. There are no residential wells nearby. Residents are on municipal water.
- On December 10, 2018, DuPont collected two groundwater samples to be analyzed for PFAS.
- On January 17, 2019, EGLE received results for samples collected in December. PFOA and PFOS were below the effective criteria at the time, and no further action was taken.
- On December 21, 2020, cleanup criteria for 5 additional PFAS compounds became effective, including PFNA. PFNA was detected in the 2018 sampling event at 37 ppt, exceeding the cleanup criteria of 6 ppt.
- DuPont will be submitting a workplan in June 2021 to delineate PFAS contamination.
Residential Well Testing/Alternate Water Information
- There are no residential wells nearby. Residents are on municipal water.
Upcoming Community Engagement
- None scheduled at this time.
Sampling Results Summary
Type of Sample
Date Sampled (or range)
Number of Sample Results Received
Number of Samples above Criteria*
|Groundwater Monitoring Wells||December 10, 2021||2||1|
- None at this time.