Lockhart Chemical Company (Flint, Genesee County)
EGLE Site Lead: Paul Bucholtz, BucholtzP@Michigan.gov or 517-243-7574. Webpage last updated September 3, 2020.
Lockhart Chemical, located at 4302 James P Cole Boulevard, has operated since 1982 and is a provider of underbody coatings, metalworking additives, paint/coatings, hydraulic fluids and lubricants. Due to a discharge to the Flint River from the storm sewer system that serves Lockhart and other industrial facilities in the area, and a complaint of discolored water from that storm sewer outfall, EGLE collected samples from the storm sewer for PFAS analysis in April 2019. Results showed elevated PFOS in a manhole at 27 ppt and at an outfall at 24 ppt. Based on results and historical groundwater contamination at the site, EGLE requested Lockhart Chemical to conduct investigation to explain the source of contamination.
Lockhart Chemical Company is located adjacent to the northern portion of the Buick City Racer site. Evidence shows both sites are impacting the city of Flint’s storm sewer system by contaminating groundwater infiltration. Contaminated groundwater at Lockhart Chemical is entering the municipal storm sewer system located adjacent to the site and discharging directly to the Flint River. At this time, other completed exposure pathways associated with this site are not known.
- On August 21 and 22, 2019, NTH Consultants, working for Lockhart Chemical, collected seven groundwater and two storm sewer PFAS samples.
- On October 2019, EGLE received results from Lockhart showing the highest result of 28 ppt PFOS and 30 ppt PFOA in the groundwater and PFOS of 42 ppt in the storm sewer around the site.
- EGLE will discuss further groundwater investigation with the PRP to delineate remedial plan.
Residential Well Testing/Alternate Water Information
- RRD staff have worked extensively with the local health department to identify any drinking water wells nearby. The effort did not identify any nearby residential wells. The Lockhart Chemical Company is adjacent to the Buick City RACER site and the effort to identify wells near the Buick City RACER site would have also identified any wells that may be impacted by Lockhart Chemical.
Upcoming Community Engagement
- This site investigation will be discussed at the virtual MPART PFAS Regional Informational Webinar – Lansing Region on September 10, 2020 at 6:00 P.M. Please visit the MPART Public Meeting Calendar for more information.
Sampling: PFOS and PFOA Only
Type of Sample
Date Sampled (or range)
Number of Sample Results Received
Number of Samples above PFOS Criteria
Number of Samples above PFOA Criteria
|Surface Water||April-August 2019||4||4||0|
- None at this time.