Aero-Motive Company (Kalamazoo, Kalamazoo County)
EGLE Site Lead: Erica Bays, BaysE@Michigan.gov or 269-350-0080. Webpage last updated August 3, 2020.
Aero-Motive Company located at 5688 ML Avenue, was a manufacturer of cable and hose reels. Some spools and blocks that were produced had been plated to resist corrosion. Sources of onsite pollution include waste dumped in a disposal pit; trichloroethene (TCE) used for cleaning and in a degreaser, floor drains, and other solvents dumped near the loading dock and in an onsite disposal pit. A release from a 2,500-gallon underground storage tank was reported in 1991. The contaminants detected in the soil and groundwater are volatile organic compounds, mainly the degreasing chemical TCE and associated degradation compounds. PFAS sampling was conducted by ELGE and their consultant due to the historical operations that may have involved PFAS coated or containing products and, known historical presence and migration of contaminants, and the close proximity of residential wells.
Groundwater flow is to the north, toward the Kalamazoo River. The aquifer primarily consists of sandy soil underlain by a clay confining layer.
- On October 15-17, 2019, EGLE’s contractor, AECOM, collected groundwater samples from 23 existing on-site and off-site groundwater monitoring wells for PFAS analysis.
- On November 4-6, 2019, EGLE received analytical results for the 23 groundwater monitoring wells that were sampled. The results indicated that there were concentrations of PFOS and PFOA that exceeded the Part 201 Criteria. The highest result was 31.1 ppt PFOS and 40.5 ppt PFOA.
- In November and December 2019, EGLE’s contractor, AECOM, began residential water supply well sampling at 12 homes based on the groundwater sampling results.
- In December 2019 and January 2020, EGLE received the results from the residential well sampling. The results indicated that there were no concentrations of PFOS or PFOA that exceeded the Part 201 Criteria. The results were shared with the homeowners by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services and the Kalamazoo County Health and Community Services Department.
- EGLE's contractor, Tetra Tech, is developing a plan to mitigate the off-site migration of PFAS and other chemicals of concern from the Aero-Motive facility.
Residential Well Testing/Alternate Water Information
- 12 nearby residential wells were sampled. The results indicated there were no concentrations of PFOS or PFOA that exceeded the Part 201 Criteria.
Upcoming Community Engagement
- None scheduled at this time.
Sampling Results Summary: PFOS and PFOA Only
Type of Sample
Date Sampled (or Range)
Number of Sample Results Received
Number of Samples Above PFOS Criteria
|Number of Samples Above PFOA Criteria|
|Drinking Water||November - December 2019||12||0||0|
*Residential well results are compared to Part 201 Criteria of PFOS 16 ppt and PFOA 8 ppt.
*Groundwater results are compared to EGLE Part 201 Criteria of PFOS 16 ppt and PFOA 8 ppt.
- None at this time.