Wolverine Sole Plant (Former) (Rockford, Kent County)
EGLE Site Lead: Leah Gies, GiesL1@Michigan.gov or 616-215-4781. Webpage last updated March 30, 2022.
The former Wolverine Sole Plant, located at 485 Wolverine Drive NE, was historically used by Wolverine World Wide for shoe manufacturing operations, including shoe sole production. On December 1 and 2, 2021, EGLE staff and subcontractor, AECOM, collected groundwater samples from five monitoring wells installed at the property. The groundwater sample results identified PFOA and PFOS at concentrations exceeding Groundwater Cleanup Criteria in all five monitoring wells. PFNA was also detected in one monitoring well above Groundwater Cleanup Criteria.
This property is not located within the boundaries of the “North Kent Study Area” and is, therefore, not subject to the requirements of the Consent Decree (Court Case. 1:18-cv-00039; effective February 19, 2020) between the State of Michigan, Algoma and Plainfield Townships, and Wolverine. EGLE considers the contamination identified at this property to be a new and separate Part 201 issue that Wolverine is responsible to manage.
Groundwater flow is in a westerly direction to the Rogue River west of the property.
- On December 1 and 2, 2021, EGLE staff and subcontractor AECOM, collected groundwater samples for PFAS analysis from five onsite monitoring wells.
- On January 5, 2022, EGLE received the results which identified PFOS, PFOA, and PFNA at concentrations exceeding Groundwater Cleanup Criteria. PFOS was identified at a maximum concentration of 1,250 ppt.
- On March 3, 2022, EGLE sent a Compliance Communication Regarding the Release at the Former Wolverine Sole Plant and requested Wolverine conduct response activities.
- Wolverine is required to submit a work plan for proposed response activities at the Former Sole Plant property to EGLE by April 18, 2022.
Residential Well / Alternative Water Information
- Surrounding area is serviced by municipal water in the City of Rockford.
Upcoming Community Engagement
- The Wolverine Community Advisory Group (CAG) generally meets the third Thursday of each month from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. Information regarding upcoming virtual meetings can be found at WolverineCAG.org.
Sampling Results Summary
Type of Sample
Date Sampled (or Range)
Number of Sample Results Received
Number of Samples above Criteria*
Groundwater Monitoring Wells
* Residential well and groundwater monitoring well results are compared to EGLE Part 201 criteria for 7 PFAS compounds effective 12/21/2020: PFOS (16 ppt), PFOA (8 ppt), PFNA (6 ppt), PFHxS (51 ppt), PFHxA (400,000 ppt), PFBS (420 ppt), and HFPO-DA (370 ppt).
- None at this time