3523 Heights-Ravenna Road (Muskegon, (Fruitport Township) Muskegon County)
EGLE Site Lead: Peter Van Heest, VanHeestP@Michigan.gov or 616-439-8019. Webpage last updated November 3, 2021.
3523 Heights-Ravenna Road site operated as a commercial laundromat from around 1981 to around 2005. The wastewater from the laundromat was discharged to a groundwater infiltration lagoon behind the building. Information contained in a Baseline Environmental Assessment submitted by a new property owner in August 2021 as part of the property transaction documented PFAS at concentrations above groundwater clean-up criteria in three of four groundwater samples collected near the former wastewater lagoon. The highest PFOS result was 221 ppt and PFOA was 134 ppt. A surface water sample collected from the lagoon had detections of PFOA at 81 ppt, PFOS at 18 ppt, and PFNA at 9 ppt.
Based upon topography, groundwater flow is expected to be generally to the northwest towards Black Creek (approximately 0.7 miles away).
- In early-November 2021, EGLE expanded the residential drinking well sample area farther to the northwest to include several additional homes with drinking water wells. The sample area was expanded due to the results from the previous sample area. One home had a detection of PFOA at 14 ppt, exceeding the Criteria of 8 ppt. Sampling in the new expansion area is expected to take place in late November. Please refer to the map on this webpage to see the current residential drinking water well sample area.
- EGLE will sample the drinking well water at homes within the sample area where the homeowners agree to allow sampling.
Residential Well/Alternate Water
- Municipal water is available in the area; however, it is not available on every street and some homes are still serviced by drinking water wells.
Upcoming Community Engagement
- None scheduled at this time.
Sampling Results Summary
Type of Sample
Date Sampled (or Range)
Number of Sample Results Received
Number of Samples above Criteria*
Groundwater Monitoring Wells
|March 19, 2021 (received by EGLE August 2021)||4||3|
|Residential Wells||September 2, 2021||9||1|
|Surface Water||March 19, 2021 (received by EGLE August 2021)||1||1|
*Residential well and groundwater monitoring well results are compared to EGLE Part 201 criteria for 7 PFAS compounds effective 12/21/2020: PFOS (16 ppt), PFOA (8 ppt), PFNA (6 ppt), PFHxS (51 ppt), PFHxA (400,000 ppt), PFBS (420 ppt), and HFPO-DA (370 ppt).
*Surface water samples are compared to Rule 57 non-drinking water values of 12 ppt for PFOS and 12,000 ppt for PFOA.
- Groundwater and surface water samples were collected by a new property owner as part of a property transaction. Residential well samples were collected by EGLE.
- In August 2021, EGLE received a Baseline Environmental Assessment documenting that PFAS was above groundwater clean-up criteria in three of four groundwater samples collected from this site.
- On August 17, 2021, EGLE mailed sample request letters to the three homes in the immediate area of the site known to have drinking water wells and conducted a door-to-door visit on August 25, 2021.
- On September 2, 2021, EGLE's contractor sampled the drinking water well at the one home in the initial sample area that granted EGLE permission to collect a sample.
- In late-September 2021, EGLE expanded the residential drinking well sample area farther to the northwest to include additional homes with drinking water wells.. Of the eight homes with drinking water wells sampled as part of the expansion area sampling, one had an exceedance of Criteria (PFOA detected at 14 ppt, exceeding Criteria of 8 ppt).