Brooks Road and Laketon Avenue (Muskegon, Muskegon County)
EGLE Site Lead: Peter Van Heest, VanHeestP@Michigan.gov or 616-439-8019. Webpage last updated January 13, 2022.
Historical detections of PFAS in the drinking water supply at the Egelcraft Mobile Home Park (Egelcraft), in Muskegon County, may indicate a source of PFAS contamination exists in the area. These past results included detections above the current standard; however, PFAS concentrations in subsequent samples collected from Egelcraft have been below the current standard. EGLE will be conducting sampling of residential drinking water wells for PFAS near Egelcraft. This sampling is being conducted out of an abundance of caution. The sampling of residential wells shown in the map is intended to determine if more wells in the area might be impacted by the contamination that was historically detected. Sampling of residential drinking water wells will take place in late-July.
Based upon well-head protection zones and topography, groundwater flow direction in this area is expected to be generally to the south-southwest toward Black Creek.
- None at this time.
- In late-January 2022, the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) will be conducting additional drinking water well sampling for homes previously sampled as part of this area of interest. The purpose of the resampling is to determine whether PFAS levels are fluctuating over time and whether the current health-protective measures in place are still warranted.
- Please contact MDHHS toxicologist, Lisa Fischer at FischerL@Michigan.gov or (517) 331-2523 for questions regarding the MDHHS resampling program.
Residential Well Testing/Alternate Water Information
- Municipal water is not available in this area. Homes in the area are on residential drinking water wells that are generally shallow and in sandy soils. EGLE mailed letters to 56 properties on Laketon Avenue, Brooks Road, and Evanston Avenue, requesting permission to sample drinking water wells. Sampling of residential drinking water wells will begin in late-July.
Upcoming Community Engagement
- None scheduled at this time.
Sampling Results Summary
Type of Sample
Date Sampled (or Range)
Number of Sample Results Received
Number of Samples above Criteria
Groundwater Monitoring Wells
|July 27, 2021 - August 24, 2021||37||4|
*Residential well and groundwater monitoring well results are compared to EGLE Part 201 criteria for 7 PFAS compounds: PFOS (16 ppt), PFOA (8 ppt), PFNA (6 ppt), PFHxS (51 ppt), PFHxA (400,000 ppt), PFBS (420 ppt), and HFPO-DA (370 ppt).
- Residential well sampling will be conducted (starting in late-July) based upon data from the public water supply testing results at Egelcraft Mobile Home Park.