The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Peerless Plating (Muskegon Heights, Muskegon County)
EGLE Site Lead: Nicolas Dawson, DawsonN1@Michigan.gov. Webpage last updated January 9, 2020.
This site is located at 2554 Getty Street and is an abandoned electroplating facility. The property is approximately an acre in size. PFAS was sampled for due to the historical operations as an electroplater. Shallow groundwater flow direction is to the southeast where it discharges to Little Black Creek. Nearby properties are on municipal water. Little Black Creek flows south-southwest and discharges into Mona Lake.
Maps of Groundwater Results for the Lower, Middle, and Upper Wells
- On October 9, 2019, EGLE sampled 2 of the groundwater monitoring wells on-site. Results are indicated in the sampling table below.
- EGLE will coordinate internally to determine the next steps for sampling at the site.
Residential Well Testing/Alternate Water Information
- The majority of nearby residential properties use municipal water from the city of Muskegon Heights, which is sourced from Lake Michigan. There are no known residential drinking water wells in the area. EGLE is determining whether any wells are being used for irrigation purposes.
- EGLE has tested all municipal water supplies for PFAS. View the results for the city of Muskegon Heights.
Upcoming Community Engagement
- None scheduled at this time.
Sampling Results Summary: PFOS and PFOA Only
Type of Sample
Date Sampled (or Range)
Number of Samples
Number of Results Received
|Number of Non-Detects||Number Between Non-detect and Standard*||Number Greater Than or Equal to Standard|
|October 11, 2018 - October 9, 2019||78||78||46||28||4|
- Other PFAS analytes were detected in samples. There are no federal or state standards for these analytes.
- On October 11, 2018, EGLE’s contractor collected six groundwater samples from the area downgradient of the historical lagoon locations along the southern property boundary and adjacent to Little Black Creek.
- On December 12, 2018, EGLE received the results from the groundwater sampling. The highest values were 80 ppt PFOS+PFOA, 102 ppt Total Tested PFAS.
- On May 20, 2019, EGLE’s contractor collected 49 groundwater samples from on-site monitoring wells.
- On July 18, 2019, EGLE received the results from the groundwater sampling. The highest values were 82 ppt PFOS+PFOA.
- On October 9, 2019 EGLE’s contractor collected 23 groundwater samples from on-site monitoring wells.