The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Pontiac Lake State Recreation Area (Waterford, Oakland County)
Web content may not routinely be updated on this page. Please contact the Site Lead for the most up-to-date status of the site.
Content posted September 2021.
EGLE Site Lead
Kevin Wojciechowski, WojciechowskiK@Michigan.gov or 586-623-2948.
Pontiac Lake State Recreation Area operated is located at 7800 Gale Road. On January 10, 2014, a twin-engine Cessna 310 plane owned by Royal Air crashed in a wooded area at this site just north of the boat launch and south of the beach area. The plane caught fire and approximately 85 gallons of Aqueous Film Forming Foam (AFFF) was used.
Groundwater flow is unknown in the recreation area, however, the airport property adjacent to the east has a shallow groundwater flow to the south-southeast.
- In July 2021, EGLE collected groundwater samples from eight different locations near the crash site.
- In August 2021, EGLE received the sampling results showing two monitoring wells exceeded criteria, the highest of which was 7,200 ppt PFOS.
- EGLE will draft a compliance communication to Royal Air Freight notifying them of their Part 201 obligation to delineate and clean up the contamination.
Residential Well/Alternate Water
- EGLE and MDHHS have been working together to identify and sample drinking water wells in the area.
- Waterford Township does have city water pipes located along most, if not all the residential roads north of the airport. Most homes in the area are already connected to city water.
Upcoming Community Engagement
- On September 21, 2021, at 6:00pm, MPART will host a virtual town hall meeting to discuss the current results of the PFAS investigation.
- For information on how to join the town hall visit the MPART public calendar at: Michigan.gov/MPARTEvents.
Sampling Results Summary
Type of Sample
Date Sampled (or Range)
Number of Sample Results Received
Number of Samples above Criteria*
Groundwater Monitoring Wells
|July 19 - 20, 2021||8||2|
- Residential well sampling results near this site will be posted to the Oakland County International Airport site page.