The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Westside Recycling and Disposal Facility (Three Rivers, St. Joseph County)
Web content may not routinely be updated on this page. Please contact the Site Lead for the most up-to-date status of the site.
Content posted August 2020.
EGLE Site Lead
Nathan Whitmyer, WhitmyerN@Michigan.gov or 269-286-1451.
Westside Recycling and Disposal Facility located at 14094 M-60 West consists of an active municipal solid waste landfill (Type II Landfill) and a closed industrial, construction and demolition landfill (Type III Landfill). The Type II landfill receives non-hazardous residential, commercial, and construction and demolition waste. The Type III landfill accepted foundry sand, industrial waste, and construction and demolition waste and was closed in August 2004.
The site was sampled on December 16, 2019, per a request from EGLE and an approved work plan dated September 24, 2019. Four locations were sampled, including an upgradient well, a well of known historical impact (non-PFAS), and two downgradient wells.
The general groundwater flow direction is to the Northeast. There may be residential wells in the area.
- The site was sampled on December 16, 2019, per a request from EGLE and an approved work plan dated September 24, 2019. Four onsite monitoring were sampled, including an upgradient well, a well of known historical impact (non-PFAS), and two downgradient wells.
- In March 2020, EGLE received the sampling results from the December 2019 sampling event. Two monitoring wells (MW-6S and MW-9S) exceeded the new Part 201 Criteria for PFOA. MW-6S had a result of 56 ppt PFOA and non-detect for PFOS. MW-9S had a result of 28 ppt PFOA and non-detect for PFOS.
- EGLE will evaluate the proximity of residential wells.
Residential Well Testing/Alternate Water Information
- EGLE will work with the local health department to review residential well logs in the area and discuss potential residential well sampling.
Upcoming Community Engagement
- None scheduled at this time.
Sampling Results: PFOS and PFOA Only
Type of Sample
Date Sampled (or Range)
Number of Sample Results Received
Number of Samples Above PFOS Criteria
|Number of Samples Above PFOA Criteria|
|December 16, 2019||4||0||2|
- None at this time.
- No historical information at this time.