Werkner Road Landfill (Chelsea, Washtenaw County)
EGLE Site Lead: Brett Coulter, CoulterB1@Michigan.gov. Webpage last updated: August 3, 2020.
Werkner Road Landfill is a solid waste facility located at 8027 Werkner Road. PFAS testing was conducted due to an MPART landfill initiative. PFAS samples were collected from six monitor wells and a leachate pond. One monitor well sample exceeded the EGLE criteria for PFOA (MW-2S), and a duplicate sample (MW-4 Dup) also exceeded the criteria for PFOA. The highest PFOA result was 54 ppt. The leachate pond is located near the center of the landfill property, and the leachate is pumped out of the pond and disposed of as needed.
Groundwater flow is typically to the east-northeast and is consistent with local topography. Ground elevations are higher to the north and west, with low areas to the northeast and east of the landfill property. Wetlands are located adjacent to the landfill to the south, east, and northeast. West Lake is located to the east-northeast and approximately 2,000 feet from the east boarder of the landfill property. Because the contamination is shallow and nearby residential wells are side-gradient and up-gradient and screened at a deeper depth, residential wells are unlikely to be impacted.
- On June 19, 2019, Werkner Road Landfill’s contractor, Soil and Materials Engineers, Inc. (SME), conducted PFAS sampling of six monitor wells and the leachate pond.
- EGLE staff will recommend quarterly PFAS monitoring and that the monitoring get included in the site remedial action plan.
Residential Well Testing/Alternate Water Information
- EGLE is working with local health department staff to determine if there are any nearby residential wells.
Upcoming Community Engagement
- None scheduled at this time.
Sampling: PFOS and PFOA Only
Type of Sample
Date Sampled (or Range)
Number of Sample Results Received
Number of Samples Above PFOS Criteria
|Number of Samples Above PFOA Criteria|
Groundwater Monitoring Wells
|June 20, 2020||6||0||1|
* Groundwater results are compared to EGLE Part 201 Criteria of PFOS 16 ppt and PFOA 8 ppt. (Duplicate sample exceedance for PFOA at MW-4 (MW-4 Dup) is not included in the totals).
- Some quality control (QC) issues were noted (there are inconsistent QC results). Therefore, some concentrations may be higher or lower than reported.