Cyb Tools (Canton, Wayne County)
EGLE Site Lead: Eric A. Larson, LarsonE5@Michigan.gov or 586 255-6196. Webpage last updated: September 1, 2021.
Cyb Tools is located at 42056 Michigan Avenue. The property was historically used for manufacturing, including a foundry and a plater. It used waste lagoons in the 1940's and 1950's as part of the former plating operations. Ownership has changed multiple times but was owned by Cyb Tool from the mid-1970s through the 1990's when the company dissolved. Due to numerous releases of chemicals at this site and proximity to the Lower Rouge River, groundwater samples were collected for PFAS analysis.
Previous site investigations identified groundwater flow direction to be northerly from the site. The Lower Rouge River is located north of the site approximately 100 feet north of site boundary.
- On June 30 and July 1, 2021, EGLE collected groundwater samples from 14 existing monitoring wells.
- On August 6, 2021, EGLE received the groundwater sample results. All 14 of the samples collected exceeded criteria with the highest result of 3,220 ppt for PFOS collected from monitoring well 19 (MW-19) as shown on the map.
- EGLE will collect groundwater samples from eight existing monitoring wells that weren't sampled during the first round.
Residential Well/Alternate Water
- Local residents are connected to public drinking water; there are no residential wells in the area.
Upcoming Community Engagement
- None scheduled at this time.
Sampling Results Summary
Type of Sample
Date Sampled (or Range)
Number of Sample Results Received
Number of Samples Above Criteria*
Groundwater Monitoring Wells
|June 30, 2021 and July 1, 2021||14||14|
*Residential well and groundwater monitoring well results are compared to EGLE Part 201 criteria for 7 PFAS compounds effective 12/21/2020: PFOS (16 ppt), PFOA (8 ppt), PFNA (6 ppt), PFHxS (51 ppt), PFHxA (400,000 ppt), PFBS (420 ppt), and HFPO-DA (370 ppt).
- Criteria exceedance of PFOA, PFOS and PFHxS.