The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Cyb Tools (Canton, Wayne County)
Please contact the Site Lead for the most up-to-date status of this site.
Cyb Tools is located at 42056 Michigan Avenue. The property was historically used for manufacturing, including a foundry and a plater. It used waste lagoons in the 1940's and 1950's as part of the former plating operations. Ownership has changed multiple times but was owned by Cyb Tool from the mid-1970s through the 1990's when the company dissolved. Due to numerous releases of chemicals at this site and proximity to the Lower Rouge River, groundwater samples were collected for PFAS analysis.
Previous site investigations identified groundwater flow direction to be northerly from the site. The Lower Rouge River is located north of the site approximately 100 feet north of site boundary.
Content posted September 2022.
Local residents are connected to public drinking water; there are no residential wells in the area.
- On June 30 and July 1, 2021, EGLE collected groundwater samples from 14 existing monitoring wells.
- On August 6, 2021, EGLE received the groundwater sample results. All 14 of the samples collected exceeded criteria with the highest result of 3,220 ppt for PFOS collected from monitoring well 19 (MW-19) as shown on the map.
- In August and September 2021, on-site and off-site groundwater samples were collected from five monitoring wells. All five wells exceeded criteria with the highest result of 1,110 ppt PFOS collected from an off-site monitoring well (12-D as shown on the map).
- On February 1, 2022, a storm water discharge sample to the Lower Rouge River was collected. The result was below Water Quality Values.
Sampling Results Summary
Type of Sample
Date Sampled (or Range)
Number of Sample Results Received
Number of Samples Above Criteria*
Groundwater Monitoring Wells
June 2021 - September 2021 19 19 Surface Water Discharge February 1, 2022 1 0
*Residential well and groundwater monitoring well results are compared to EGLE Part 201 criteria for 7 PFAS compounds effective 12/21/2020: PFOS (16 ppt), PFOA (8 ppt), PFNA (6 ppt), PFHxS (51 ppt), PFHxA (400,000 ppt), PFBS (420 ppt), and HFPO-DA (370 ppt).
* Surface water samples are compared to Rule 57 non-drinking water values of 12 ppt for PFOS, 170 ppt for PFOA, and 670,000 ppt for PFBS.
- Criteria exceedance of PFOA, PFOS and PFHxS.