The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Wexford-Missaukee Career Technical Center Area of Interest (Cadillac, Wexford County)
Web content may not routinely be updated on this page. Please contact the Site Lead for the most up-to-date status of the site.
Content posted January 2022.
EGLE Site Lead
Kaitlyn Bertram, BertramK@Michigan.gov or 231-429-1256.
The Wexford-Missaukee Career Technical Center (CTC) is located at 9901 East 13th Street in Cadillac and is part of the Wexford-Missaukee Intermediate School District (ISD). PFAS sampling started in June of 2019 as part of a statewide initiative by EGLE to study PFAS in the water supply at schools across Michigan. The PFAS compounds PFBS, PFHxA, PFHpA, PFOA, PFNA, and PFOS have been detected in the Wexford-Missaukee CTC's well at various times since sampling began. Detections have recently led to an exceedance of the drinking water standard for PFNA. There are no known PFAS releases or identified sources in the area. A second Wexford-Missaukee ISD well is located on the property (at the Administration building) and has been below MCLs for PFAS compounds. A third well is located on the property, at the general education building, and is anticipated to be sampled the week of November 29, 2021.
Groundwater flow direction at this site is unknown but may potentially be to the northwest towards the Clam River. Potential receptors include residences to the west and south of the site.
- Quarterly sampling of the Wexford Missaukee CTC well has been ongoing since 2019.
- Two other nearby wells, at Baker College, and Cadillac Area YMCA have been sampled previously and are currently on annual compliance monitoring. The most recent samples from both locations have been non-detect.
- Compliance monitoring of the Wexford Missaukee ISD administration building has been ongoing since August 2020.
- On December 21, 2021, and January 6 2022, residential wells adjacent to the Wexford-Missaukee Career Technical Center were sampled. Two residential wells exceeded drinking water criteria. One well contained PFNA at 19 ppt, and the other well contained PFOA at 10ppt. Note: only one well contained any detections of PFNA.
- Residential well sampling will be expanded to homes west of John R Road.
Residential Well/Alternate Water
- Municipal water is not currently available in the area. MPART is evaluating residential wells.
Upcoming Community Engagement
- None scheduled at this time.
Sampling Results Summary
Type of Sample
Number of Sample
Number of Samples
|December 21, 2021 and January 6, 2022||16||2|
*Residential well and groundwater monitoring well results are compared to EGLE Part 201 criteria for 7 PFAS compounds effective 12/21/2020: PFOS (16 ppt), PFOA (8 ppt), PFNA (6 ppt), PFHxS (51 ppt), PFHxA (400,000 ppt), PFBS (420 ppt), and HFPO-DA (370 ppt).
- None at this time.