The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Executive Directive 2021 - 7
October 26, 2021
To: State Department Directors and Autonomous Agency Heads
From: Governor Gretchen Whitmer
Date: October 26, 2021
Re: Vaccinations for children ages 5 to 11
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will likely soon authorize emergency use of the Pfizer-BioNTech coronavirus vaccine for children ages 5 to 11. Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, I have prioritized action that protects the most vulnerable Michiganders. In anticipation of this development, I am directing state departments and agencies to move as quickly as possible to prepare for pediatric vaccination.
Consistent with the above, and acting under sections 1 and 8 of article 5 of the Michigan Constitution of 1963, I direct the following:
- The directors of the Department of Health and Human Services and the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs must take all appropriate action to ensure that the COVID-19 vaccination is available to all children in Michigan as soon as they are eligible to receive the vaccine.
- The directors must take all appropriate action to encourage all pediatric vaccination providers to enroll as COVID-19 vaccine providers, including by educating pediatricians and family practice providers about eligibility, barriers to access, and the importance of pediatric vaccination.
- The directors must aim to minimize barriers to accessing pediatric COVID-19 vaccines by promoting vaccination in settings that facilitate ease of access, including by working with child and adolescent health centers serving grades K-12, federal qualified health centers, pharmacies, local health departments, and community clinics.
- The directors must take all appropriate action to promote equity in accessibility of pediatric vaccination, considering barriers to access presented by geography, income, age, race, ethnicity, primary language, or disability status.
- The directors must regularly report to me on the proportion of children ages 5 to 11 who have received a COVID-19 vaccine, including in these reports the status of pediatric vaccination in areas with higher social vulnerability.
This directive is effective immediately.
Thank you for your cooperation in implementing this directive.