UPDATED Public Notice - November 23, 2020 Civil Rights Commission Meeting and Special Meeting, "Continuing the Conversation on Education Equity in Michigan"
Michigan Civil Rights Commission
Notice of Public Meeting
Monday, November 23, 2020, 4:00 P.M.
Notice of Special Meeting
Monday, November 23, 2020, 5:00 P.M.
These public meetings will be held virtually.
Pursuant to the Michigan Open Meetings Act, as amended, the Michigan Civil Rights Commission will meet virtually using videoconferencing on Monday, November 23, 2020 at 4 P.M.
The Commission will convene a Special Meeting, “Continuing the Conversation on Education Equity in Michigan,” on Monday, November 23, 2020, at 5:00 P.M.
The Commission meetings may be viewed in the following manner:
Via Zoom: To participate online via Zoom, click this link below to join the webinar:
Via Phone: To participate by phone,
- Using iPhone one-tap: US: +16465588656,,93787298833#,,,,,,0#,,889370# or +13017158592,,93787298833#,,,,,,0#,,889370#
- By telephone: dial US: +1 646 558 8656 or +1 301 715 8592 or +1 312 626 6799 or +1 669 900 9128 or +1 253 215 8782 or +1 346 248 7799
(For higher quality, dial a number based on your current location.)
Webinar ID: 937 8729 8833
Public Comment: To participate at the time of Public Comment, please raise your hand within the Zoom application.
- Telephone participants: Raise your hand by pressing *9
- Web participants: Raise your hand by clicking raise hand in the application or pressing
- Windows computer = [ALT] + [Y]
- Apple computers = [OPTION] + [Y]
To be consistent with how Public Comment is handled for in-person meetings:
- You will be called on in the order in which your hand is raised.
- All time limits set by the meeting Chair will still be enforced.
- Any hands raised after the Chair ends submission of public comments will not be able to speak at the meeting.
All interested persons are invited to be present and be heard as to their views.
- Facebook: To view the meeting live on Facebook, go to: https://facebook.com/midcr
- YouTube: To view the meeting live on YouTube, go to: https://bit.ly/3lIjOqg
Note on Public Comment: People viewing the meeting on Facebook or YouTube will not have the ability to take part in Public Comment period. If you wish to make a public comment, please join the meeting via Zoom or by telephone.
During the meeting, members of the news media only should direct questions to Vicki Levengood by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone/text at 517-775-0558.
Those who need mobility, visual, hearing, foreign language, written and/or other assistance for effective participation may request an accommodation by calling 800-482-3604 or e-mail at MDCR-INFO@michigan.gov at least two (2) business days prior to the meeting. Requests received after that date cannot be guaranteed, but efforts will be made to provide the accommodation requested. ASL Interpreters have been secured for Deaf and Hard of Hearing individuals, and the meeting will be captioned.
MICHIGAN CIVIL RIGHTS COMMISSION MEETING
Monday, November 23, 2020, 4:00- 5:00PM
Virtual Meeting: Zoom, You Tube and Facebook Livestream
I. CALL TO ORDER / ROLL CALL – Chair Stacie Clayton
II. OPEN MEETINGS ACT RESOLUTION – Chair Clayton & Dan Levy
III. APPROVAL OF MEETING AGENDA
IV. ADOPTION OF CONSENT AGENDA
The following items from the agenda have been identified as those that may not require Commission discussion prior to being adopted or received. Items may be removed from the consent agenda on the request of any Commission member. Items not removed will then be moved for adoption by general consent without debate.
(VIII. DIVISION REPORTS)
- *Public Affairs / Budget Report, Mary Engelman
- *Legislative Affairs Report, Dan Levy
- *Enforcement Division Report, Lori Vinson
- *Law and Policy Report, Dan Levy
- *ADA Compliance Report, Kim Woolridge
- *Racial Equity Report, Alfredo Hernandez
- *Business and Community Affairs Report, Anthony Lewis
- *Community Engagement Unit Report, Mark Bishop
- *Division on Deaf, Deaf Blind and Hard of Hearing Report, Annie Urasky
V. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
- Meeting Minutes from September 30, 2020 Meeting
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT (Housekeeping Rules – Mary Engelman)
VII. GUEST SPEAKER
- Poppy Hernandez, Equity & Inclusion Officer, Governor Whitmer’s Executive Office
VIII. DIVISION REPORTS
- Executive Director Report, James White
IX. COMMISSION BUSINESS
- Chair Report, Stacie Clayton
- 2021 Commission Meeting Schedule, Chair Clayton
- Appointment of Nominating Committee for January 2021 Election of Officers, Chair Clayton
- Attorney General Report, Ron Robinson
- Amicus Proposal Riverbrook v. Fabode, Court of Appeals (Action Item)
X. ONGOING BUSINESS
XI. NEW BUSINESS
XII. COMMISSIONER COMMENT
The proposed draft minutes are a summary, not a transcript, of the Commission’s meetings. According to the Open Meetings Act, “the minutes must show the date, time, place, members present, members absent, any decisions made at a meeting open to the public, and the purpose(s) for which a closed session is held; the minutes must also include all roll call votes taken at the meeting.”
The Board may, at its discretion, revise this agenda or take up any other issues as needed, and time allows.
- Items identified by an * are anticipated to be adopted as part of the Consent Agenda and will be separate part of agenda only if removed prior to the Consent Agenda’s adoption.
- Items identified with an empty checkbox require a majority vote for adoption.
MICHIGAN CIVIL RIGHTS COMMISSION
“CONTINUING THE CONVERSATION ON
EDUCATION EQUITY IN MICHIGAN”
Monday, November 23, 2020, 5:00-8:00 P.M.
Virtual Meeting: Zoom, YouTube and Facebook Livestream
I. CALL TO ORDER / ROLL CALL – Chair Stacie Clayton
III. GUEST SPEAKER – Brandy Johnson, Governor’s Policy Advisor on Education
IV. GUEST PRESENTATION - University of Michigan’s Youth Civil Rights Academy
Increasing Equity in Education: A Youth Perspective
V. PANEL DISCUSSION MODERATED BY VANGUARD PUBLIC AFFAIRS
“Understanding Urban and Rural Education Equity”
- Sherry Gay-Dagnogo, State Representative & Detroit School Board Member-Elect
- Dr. Pamela Pugh, Vice President, State Board of Education
- Michael Rafferty, President and CEO, New Detroit, A Racial Justice Organization
- David Tebo, Superintendent, Hamilton Community Schools
VI. PANEL DISCUSSION MODERATED BY VANGUARD PUBLIC AFFAIRS
“Charter Schools Are Public Schools”
- Dan Quisenberry, President, Michigan Association of Public School Academies
- Buzz Thomas, Former State Legislator; Board Chair, Michigan Association of
- Public School Academies
- Destini Caldwell, Student, Jalen Rose Leadership Academy
- Maurice Morton, CEO, Detroit Academy of Arts and Sciences
- Christel Drew, High School Principal, Madison Academy
- Lola Hopcraft, Special Education Director, Grand Blanc Academy
- Ali Bazzi, Principal, Star International Academy
VII. PUBLIC COMMENT (Housekeeping Rules – Mary Engelman)
VIII. NEXT STEPS
Council on Government and Education Equity and Inclusion
- MDCR Director James White and MDCR Equity Officer Alfredo Hernandez