Family Status Changes
Note: Because of the ongoing declared national emergency for the COVID-19 pandemic, the deadline to contact the MI HR Service Center to add or change enrollment due to a qualifying life event occurring on or after January 30, 2020, has been extended. The extended due date is now 60 days after the end of the national emergency (once determined), plus the remainder of the original 31-day deadline period occurring after February 29.
Newly Hired Eligible Employee:
Newly hired employees must call the MI HR Service Center within 31 days of their hire date to enroll in benefits. Benefits will be effective the first day of the new pay-period starting after you call MI HR to enroll in benefits. Benefits are not effective immediately upon hire or immediately after contacting MI HR to enroll, with the exception of employee life insurance. Other eligibility requirements may apply to certain insurance plans.
Newly Acquired Dependent:
Notify the MI HR Service Center as soon as possible but no later than 31 days after acquiring a new dependent. Do not wait until you have the official documentation to contact the MI HR Service Center. You will be required to provide proof of dependent eligibility within 31 days of the life event occurring. Visit the Required Documentation page for more information on substantiating dependents. If you do not enroll upon hire, your next opportunity to enroll is the following annual Insurance Open Enrollment period.
Moving out of HMO/DMO Coverage Area:
If you are enrolled in an HMO or the DMO and move to a new permanent residence outside of the service area of the HMO or DMO in which you are enrolled, you must transfer your enrollment to another available group insurance plan immediately but no later than 31 days of the move occurring. Contact the MI HR Service Center immediately any time you change your permanent residence.
Mid-Year Life Events
Mid-year changes in coverage will only be allowed during the benefit year based on what the IRS calls a "family status change" or "qualifying life event." The coverage change must be consistent with the life event and each requires proof within 31 days of the event occurring. Some examples of a family status change are:
- Marriage or Divorce:
- You may enroll a new spouse within 31 days of the marriage; the effective date of the insurance is the first day of the new pay-period starting after the MI HR Service Center receives notification.
- In the event of a divorce, ex-spouses are not eligible and must be removed from coverage effective the date of the divorce.
- You may newly enroll in insurance coverage if you lose insurance coverage as a result of a divorce.
- If your spouse passes away and you are covered under that spouse's insurance plans, you may newly enroll in the state group insurance plans.
- Loss or Gain of Coverage
- You and your eligible spouse or dependents may enroll or disenroll in state group insurance coverages if your insurance coverage is significantly reduced, lost, or gained as a result of a change in your or their employment and you’re able to provide adequate proof within 31 days of the event.
- Addition of a Dependent:
- Eligible dependents may be enrolled in your health, dental, vision, and dependent life insurance plans (OEAI and their dependents may only be enrolled in health insurance plans). Children by birth, legal adoption, or step-children are eligible for dependent life insurance until the day before their 23rd birthday and eligible for health, dental, and vision insurance through the last day of the month in which they turn age 26.
- Children the employee has legal guardianship of or fosters (placed in your home by a state agency or court) are eligible for health, dental, vision, and dependent life insurance until the day before their 18th birthday, unless the placement expires prior to that date.
You must notify the MI HR Service Center by calling 877-766-6447 within 31 days of the qualifying live event occurring. You will be required to provide all supporting documentation of dependent eligibility within 31 days of the event as well.