Beneficiary Designation & Guide to HR Self-Service
Please select the button that represents the information that you would like to view:
Every employee is responsible for designating separate beneficiaries for each type of available benefit.
No need to complete a paper form if you designate your beneficiaries online for your employee last check benefit & employee life insurance. Online designations will replace any prior designations made. You may also contact the MI HR Service Center 877-766-6447 for assistance with the online process.
- Visit www.michigan.gov/selfserv
- After arriving at the HR Gateway, choose "HR Self-Service."
- A security pop-up box will appear; choose OK.
- You will then be prompted to log in to HR Self-Service. Your username will be your "h" employee ID; if your ID number has only 6 numbers, you must enter the number zero after the h. Your system-generated password is 8 characters and consists of a combination of letters, numbers, and possibly a symbol.
- After logging in, select the "Bookmarks" tab in the upper-left corner.
- Hover over "Employee Self-Service," then "Benefits," then select "Beneficiaries."
- From this screen you can choose to add individual beneficiaries or a trust.
- After selecting either Add Individual or Add Trust, a detail box will display. Complete the fields to add as much information as possible about your beneficiary. Necessary fields are marked with a red asterisk.
- When complete, scroll down and click the submit button to complete your designation.
- After submitting your beneficiaries' information, it will display as such. You may continue to add more than one beneficiary.
- Once you have completed your beneficiary designation for the STATE EMPLOYEE LIFE plan, you must complete the same steps for your LAST CHECK plan.
Once you have completed all of these steps, your beneficiary designations are saved and there is no need to submit further documentation.
If you need assistance with any of the above steps please contact the MI HR Service Center at 1-877-766-6447.
Employees are encouraged to complete their beneficiary designations online. However, if you are unable to, the following designation forms are available:
- Beneficiary Designation or Change Form CS-1781 This form is used to assign beneficiaries for Employee Group Life Insurance. Submit this form to your Human Resources Office.
- Final Compensation Beneficiary Designation CS-140 This form is used to assign beneficiaries for final compensation, which can include the last paycheck, payoff of accumulated vacation, sick, comp, longevity, or any other bonuses. Submit this form to your Human Resources Office.
- State of Michigan 401(k) and 457 Plans Beneficiary Designation As an active defined contribution State employee use this form to nominate your beneficiary. If you are married, your spouse shall automatically be your designated beneficiary under the 401(k) plan unless you elect otherwise and your spouse consents to such election. Return this completed form to: State of Michigan 401(k) and 457 Plans, P.O. Box 389, Hartford, CT 06141.
- ORS Beneficiary Nomination As an active defined benefit State employee use this form, or go to miAccount to nominate your beneficiary for pension benefits. Pension benefits are for State employees hired before March 31, 1997, unless the employee selected the Defined Contribution plan. Return this form to ORS, P.O. Box 30171, Lansing, MI 48909.
- Human Resources Office - Submit your Beneficiary Designation or Change Form CS-1781 for Last Check Benefit & Life Insurance Benefits if your designations are not completed through HR Self-Service.
- Office of Retirement Services (ORS) at 800-381-5111 - Manage Defined Benefit beneficiary designations online using miAccount. The paper Beneficiary Designation form R400G is also accepted.
- MI HR Service Center 877-766-6447 - Assistance with beneficiary designation on HR Self-Service.
- Benefits for Life 888-825-8395 - Beneficiary designation for any voluntary benefits purchased solely by the employee during employment.
- Voya 800-748-6128 - Manage Defined Contribution, 401(k), and/or 457 beneficiary designations online at Voya 401k/457 Plans Web Site.
- Michigan State Police (MSP), Human Resources Division 517-336-6527 - MSP specific benefit beneficiary designations.