Retiree Legal Plan
A legal plan for many common personal legal issues.
In today's world, no matter where you are in your life, you are almost certain to experience life events that have potential legal ramifications
With a legal plan from MetLife, you have the professional legal help you need to protect yourself and your loved ones from legal difficulties.
You have the option to participate in the legal plan or the legal plan plus FraudScout from MetLife Legal Plans. Both plans give you and eligible family members affordable protection for legal expenses and access to experienced attorneys. Both plans provide a full year of legal coverage for a price that many attorneys charge for just one hour of service*. Your coverage will be renewed automatically each year and may only be cancelled during a Legal Plan open enrollment.
When using MetLife Legal Plans' Network Attorneys, attorney fees are 100% paid-in-full for most covered matters. You can also choose any attorney you'd like and receive reimbursements up to the scheduled maximums.
Review the legal plan descriptions by visiting benefitsforlife.org. Locate the section on the right side of the page called "Benefits for Life (BFL) State of Michigan Voluntary Benefit Program for SERS Retirees," then select the drop down "Legal Plan - MetLife Legal Plans."
Legal Plan: Covered Legal Services
- Telephone advice and office consultations on many personal legal matters
- Preparation of wills, codicils, living wills, living trusts and powers of attorney
Attorney representation for matters such as:
- Purchase or sale of your primary or secondary residence
- Divorce (contested and uncontested up to 20 hours per event)
- Debt collection defense
- Warranty/contractor issues
- Online access to our e-panel of attorneys, to answer your Legal questions as well as downloadable Do-It-Yourself Legal Documents™
Legal Plan plus FraudScout: Covered Legal Services
You have the option to choose the legal plan plus FraudScout, which includes all the benefits of the MetLaw plan, plus:
- Triple Bureau Credit Monitoring: From triple bureau credit monitoring to lost wallet and identity restoration, your personal information and financial standing are protected.
When may I start using my new network of attorneys?
If you enroll during the 2022 Legal Plan enrollment, you may start using your new legal plan on September 1, 2022. Look for your welcome letter to be sent to your home shortly after you enroll. For more information, log in to legalplans.com and create an account to begin setting up your account.
*Limitations and exclusions apply. In certain states legal services benefits are provided through insurance coverage underwritten by Metropolitan Property and Casualty Insurance Company and affiliates, Warwick, Rhode Island, and its affiliates.