The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Underwater Salvage and Preserve Committee
Michigan's Great Lakes bottomlands are the final resting place of hundreds of shipwrecks—the cold, fresh waters of the lakes preserve these time capsules of our heritage. A national marine sanctuary and 13 state-designated underwater preserves protect and interpret them.
- The Michigan Underwater Salvage and Preserve Committee advises cooperating state agencies on policies and permits concerning shipwrecks on Great Lakes bottomlands.
- The Michigan History Center partners with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration on the management of the Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary and Underwater Preserve.
- The Michigan Underwater Preserves Council has details on each preserve.
- The Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy provides information on Michigan law and permits affecting underwater resources.
- Chris Antieau, DEGLE Representative
- Ron Bloomfield, Kawkawlin
- Joseph Bower, Kalamazoo
- Sandra Clark, DNR Representative
- Jeremiah Edson, Traverse City
- Stephen Kroll, Rogers City
- Wayne Lusardi, Alpena
- Nathan Murphy, Ann Arbor
- David Shaw, DNR Law Enforcement
2022 Meeting Schedule and Agendas
The Underwater Salvage and Preserve Committee meets quarterly. Unless noted, all meetings are held in person at the Michigan Library and Historical Center in the Morris Learning Center (first floor, east wing); attendance via Zoom is also available. Meetings begin at 1 p.m. and are open to the public; agendas will be posted here in PDF format as they become available. The Michigan Library and Historical Center is located at 702 West Kalamazoo Street, Lansing. The building and visitor parking are on the north side of Kalamazoo Street, two blocks east of M. L. King Jr. Boulevard.
- February 15 - read the agenda
- April 12 - read the agenda
- September 13 - This meeting has been canceled; it will not be rescheduled.
- November 29 - read the agenda
Join the November 29, 2022, Underwater Salvage and Preserve Committee meeting on Zoom
Meeting ID: 896 1737 6782 Passcode: yJ3q1p
One tap mobile: +19292056099,,89617376782#,,,,*766950#