The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Underwater Salvage and Preserve Committee
Michigan's Great Lakes bottomlands are the final resting place of hundreds of shipwrecks—the cold, fresh waters of the lakes preserve these time capsules of our heritage. A national marine sanctuary and 13 state-designated underwater preserves protect and interpret them.
- The Michigan Underwater Salvage and Preserve Committee advises cooperating state agencies on policies and permits concerning shipwrecks on Great Lakes bottomlands.
- The Michigan History Center partners with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration on the management of the Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary and Underwater Preserve.
- The Michigan Underwater Preserves Council has details on each preserve.
- The Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy provides information on Michigan law and permits affecting underwater resources.
- Chris Antieau, DEGLE Representative
- Ron Bloomfield, Kawkawlin
- Joseph Bower, Kalamazoo
- Sandra Clark, DNR Representative
- Jeremiah Edson, Traverse City
- Dan Friedhoff, St. Ignace
- Wayne Lusardi, DNR/Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary
- David Shaw, DNR Law Enforcement
- Brian Smith, Detroit
2023 Meeting Schedule and Agendas
The Underwater Salvage and Preserve Committee meets quarterly. Unless noted, meetings are virtual only. Meetings begin at 1 p.m. and are open to the public; agendas will be posted here in PDF format as they become available. The Michigan Library and Historical Center is located at 702 West Kalamazoo Street, Lansing. The building and visitor parking are on the north side of Kalamazoo Street, two blocks east of M. L. King Jr. Boulevard.
Accessibility Notice: To request an accommodation or other assistance for effective participation, please contact the person listed below as far in advance as possible to the scheduled event. All reasonable efforts will be made to arrange requested accommodations. Please contact: Sheri Giffin, Executive Secretary, at 517-231-1299 or GiffinS@Michigan.gov.
- Jan. 31 - read the agenda
- April 4 - read the agenda
Please note that, although the agenda lists this meeting as virtual, the meeting will be hybrid, with the following options available:
In person at the Michigan History Center
Join the April 4, 2023, Underwater Salvage and Preserve Committee meeting on Zoom
Meeting ID: 892 9811 3362 Passcode: G38inU
One tap mobile +13092053325,,89298113362#,,,,*916124#
- Sept. 19
- Nov. 28