The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
The Michigan History Center offers volunteer opportunities in Lansing at the Michigan History Museum and the Archives of Michigan. Volunteers contribute to the MHC's important work and help support our mission.
At the Michigan History Museum, volunteer docents enhance the visitor experience by sharing their love of history. At the Archives of Michigan, volunteers prepare 100-year-old probate court records for scanning into a digital archives.
If you’re interested in volunteering at the Michigan History Center, submit the application form linked below. The Volunteer Coordinator will get in touch with you to discuss your preferences and move the process forward.
- Complete the volunteer application online
- Pass a background check
- Review the DNR Volunteer Release and Waiver of Liability
Qualifications, training and benefits
What qualifications do I need?
Successful candidates for all volunteer categories:
- Are at least 18 years old; younger volunteers must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Communicate effectively.
- Demonstrate enthusiasm, a positive attitude, good judgment and flexibility.
- Work well independently and in teams.
- Have adequate time available to fulfill their commitment.
- Appreciate history.
Volunteers must be able to communicate effectively with people of diverse interests, backgrounds and ages. They should be willing to accept new challenges and to seek out information to answer visitor questions and satisfy their own curiosity.
What are the training requirements?
Volunteers to be a docent at the Michigan History Museum will attend group training to learn best docent practices and will receive materials for personal study.
Volunteers for document preparation for the Archives of Michigan will meet with the Volunteer Coordinator to get started in this program.
What are the benefits of becoming a volunteer?
As a volunteer, you will enjoy:
- The satisfaction of learning and sharing knowledge.
- Meeting other people who share your interests.
- Learning about the work that happens behind the scenes at the Michigan History Center.
- A 10% discount at the Museum Store.
- Free parking at the Michigan History Center anytime you volunteer.
- Educational training sessions.
- Minimal or no cost opportunities for onsite studies and field trips to enhance knowledge in historical subjects.
After 100 hours of service, you will receive:
- A free Household Membership to the Michigan History Museum.