Skip to main content

Resources for Lead Prevention in Your Home

Lead Poisoning Prevention Fund

The Lead Poisoning Prevention Fund (LPPF) is a loan loss reserve program which functions as an alternative funding mechanism for low to moderate income homeowners, landlords, and rental property owners who are interested in lead abatement. In partnership with Michigan Saves (MISAVES), the LPPF offers low-interest loan opportunities up to $50,000 for homeowners, landlords, and rental property owners who do not qualify for free lead abatement services through MDHHS.

To be eligible for the Lead Poisoning Prevention Fund, the applicant must be one of the following.

  • Low to moderate income homeowner (600 credit score or above).
  • Landlord.
  • Rental property owner.

Visit the MISAVES website at or call MISAVES at 517-484-6474 to learn about the loan application process.

Other Resources for Home Maintenance

The following home maintenance resources are available in the City of Benton Harbor. Home maintenance resources are not specifically designed to ensure that lead hazards are identified and addressed, but they can help prevent lead hazards from emerging. Residents can contact the programs to learn about available resources and to see if they qualify for assistance.

Grant Resources for Home Maintenance

State Emergency Relief Program

The State Emergency Relief Program provides immediate help to individuals and families facing conditions of extreme hardship or for emergencies that threaten health and safety.

Households must meet income and asset eligibility for the SER Program.

The State Emergency Relief Program has a Non-Energy Home Repair benefit for low-income homeowners. This Non-Energy Home Repair benefit could be used to replace plumbing including fixtures.

There is a lifetime cap on this fund of $1,500.

Eligibility requirements for the SER program include the following.

  • Applicant must be the homeowner.
  • Applicant must reside in the home.
  • Home is not listed for sale, or the homeowner is not in jeopardy of losing the home.
  • Home is livable and repair will make it safe.
  • Repair is completed by a licensed contractor.
  • Household must meet income limit and asset limit.

To apply for the SER Program visit or see page 18 in the Assistance Application.

Emergency Services Fund

The Emergency Services (ES) Fund provides emergency home repairs to prevent the removal of a family from their home due to health and safety. There is no cap on Emergency Services Funding, however it is at the discretion of the local office.

The Emergency Services Fund is only available to households that have been approved for and have exhausted funding from the SER Program. To apply for the SER Program visit or see page 18 in the Assistance Application.

Southwest Michigan Community Action Agency

Your local community has a list of assistance programs through Southwest Michigan Community Action Agency (SMCAA). This list can be found at

  • Types of Home Assistance include:
    • Emergency Minor Home Repairs
    • Housing Rehabilitation
    • Weatherization

Eligibility for the Weatherization Assistance Program is based on household income being at or below 200% of the federal poverty guidelines. If you receive cash assistance administered by the Department of Human Services or Supplemental Security Income, you automatically qualify for this no-cost program.

To inquire about the SMCAA Housing Development programs and their availability, call 269-925-9077.

Harbor Habitat for Humanity

Residents can apply for housing through Harbor Habitat for Humanity. Habitat homes are up to 1,600 square feet, and applicants can expect to pay a monthly mortgage of 22% annual income.

Eligibility requirements for the Habitat for Humanity include the following:

  • Applicant’s current residence in inadequate (examples include but are not limited to inadequate/dangerous electrical problems, inadequate indoor plumbing, structural damage to your home, etc.).
  • Applicant’s income must fall between 30%-80% of the area median income.
  • Applicant must have a responsible credit history, including only moderate current debt.
  • Additional eligibility qualifications can be found at Habitat for Humanity.

Visit Habitat for Humanity for resources.


Loan Resources for Home Maintenance

US Veterans Affairs Home Rehabilitation Loans

The US Veterans Affairs (VA) helps veterans, service members, and eligible surviving spouses with housing-related programs for buying, building, repairing, retaining, or adapting a home.

Eligibility requirements for the Veteran Affairs loan include the following:

  • The home must be the applicant’s intended primary residence.
  • The renovations need to improve the home’s livability, use, safety (not just aesthetic value)
  • Contractors and builders must have a valid VA builder identification number.
  • All construction must be completed within 120 days of the closing date.
  • The property must pass the VA appraisal and meet all inspection requirements.

Visit to VA Home Loans Home to learn more about VA home loans.


If you have questions, please contact the MDHHS Drinking Water Hotline at 844-934-1315.