The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Orchard Hill Landfill (Watervliet, Berrien County)
Please contact the Site Lead for the most up-to-date status of this site.
Waste Disposal Questions
Orchard Hill Landfill: 269-463-5588
Orchard Hill Landfill (OHLF) is located at 3290 Hennesey Road. The landfill was identified by the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE) as a high priority solid waste site for the purpose of PFAS sampling based on known previous groundwater impacts at the site and proximity of drinking water receptors (private water wells) to the site. On September 1, 2019, EGLE requested that OHLF conduct PFAS sampling at select groundwater monitoring wells. Groundwater results at monitoring well EW-5 showed a combined level of PFOS and PFOA above criteria of 70 ppt.
Near monitoring well EW-5, groundwater flows to the west/northwest. It is worth noting that the Ryno Drain flows south to north downgradient and on the western boundary of the site.
Content posted July 2020.
No residential well testing has been conducted so far. EGLE is working with the local health department to review well logs to determine possible residential well sampling in the future.
EGLE anticipates receiving the sample results from the July 15th sampling event in early August. EGLE will be collecting a drinking water sample from the Coloma Rod and Gun Club (CRGC) west of OHLF.
- On December 9. 2019, OHLF contractor (Golder Associates Inc.) collected four groundwater samples to be analyzed for PFAS. The highest PFOS + PFOA was 132 ppt detected in monitoring well EW-5.
- On February 5, 2020, Golder Associates Inc, resampled EW-5 to confirm results. The resample result was 96 ppt PFOS + PFOA.
- On March 9, 2020, EGLE received the sampling results from December 2019 and February 2020 sampling events.
- On April 17, 2020, EGLE notified Michigan Department of Health and Human Services and Berrien County Health Department regarding the results.
- On July 15, 2020, Golder Associates Inc., collected four groundwater samples from on-site monitoring wells. One of the samples collected was a resample of monitoring well EW-5.
Sampling: PFOS and PFOA Only
Type of Sample
# of Samples
# of Results Received
# of Non-detects
# Between Non-detect and standard*
# > Standard
Dec 2019 - July 2020 9 5 3 0 2
9 5 3 0 2
*Groundwater results are compared to EGLE Part 201 Criteria of 70 ppt PFOS+PFOA.