Welcome to the ORS website for state of Michigan employees who are in the Defined Benefit plan. (Not sure if you're in the Defined Benefit or 401(k) Defined Contribution plan? Click here).
We encourage you to and come back often for important information.
Our office will be closed on the following dates:
- November 24 & 25, 2016 - Thanksgiving
- December 23 & 26, 2016 - Christmas
- December 30, 2016 & January 2, 2017 - New Year's
State office closings for holidays are regulated by the Michigan Department of Civil Service Regulation 5.08. Public Act 124 of 1865 is the Michigan law governing official state holidays.
Published November 16, 2016
ORS staff along with Voya representatives will host open houses in locations around the state in the days leading up to and during National Retirement Security Week. Each event will offer valuable information about the 401(k) and 457 Plans, refreshments and giveaways. ORS staff will also be available to answer questions about defined benefit plans.
Tuesday, October 11, 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Quality Inn & Suites, 2603 N. Lincoln Rd., Escanaba
Wednesday, October 12, 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Park Place Hotel, Courtyard I & II, 300 East State St., Traverse City
Monday, October 17, 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Constitution Hall, Atrium, 525 W. Allegan St., Lansing
Tuesday, October 18, 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Muskegon Community College, Room 1200, 211 S. Quarterline Rd., Muskegon
Thursday, October 20, 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
DoubleTree by Hilton Bay City Riverfront, Davidson Room, One Wenonah Park Place, Bay City
Friday, October 21, 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Cadillac Place, First Floor, Room L-150, 3068 W. Grand Blvd., Detroit
Published October 3, 2016
The Office of Retirement Services announced on January 12, 2016, that everyone enrolled in our retiree non-Medicare PPO health care plan (administered by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan) would receive Form 1095-B in the mail by January 31, 2016. The 1095-B forms will now be in the mail by February 5, 2016, and you should receive your form about 3-5 business days after they hit the mail. We apologize for the delay.
Information and instructions will be included with the 1095-B form. For specific guidance on information found on the 1095-B statement, contact your tax professional or the IRS.
January 12, 2016 - Everyone enrolled in our retiree non-Medicare PPO health care plan (administered by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan) at any time in 2015 will receive Form 1095-B in the mail from the Office of Retirement Services by January 31, 2016. Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs) and Medicare are responsible for providing Form 1095-B to anyone covered by either of those entities.
Form 1095-B is a health coverage statement, required by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). The form is used to report health coverage of individuals who meet minimum essential coverage standards to the IRS on income tax returns. It is your responsibility to make copies of the 1095-B form for your spouse and/or dependents. For specific guidance on information found on the 1095-B statement, contact your tax professional or the IRS.
The IRS has published some general questions and answers about the new health care reporting forms, including what to do with them.
Published on January 29, 2016
The October 2015 issue of Connections, our semiannual retiree newsletter, is now available. Articles in this issue include:
- From the Director
- Safeguarding Personal Health Information
- Where ORS Retirees Live
- What’s Hot in Social Media
Published October 23, 2015
The 2015-2016 Insurance Rates are now available on the Employee Benefits page of the Michigan Civil Service Commission website.
Published on September 2, 2015
The Michigan Supreme Court has held that the law requiring state workers who are part of the state pension system to pay 4 percent or switch retirement systems is constitutional. This means that the provisions will remain as they were implemented in 2012 and that 4% contributions will continue to be paid into the system to help fund pension benefits.
Published on July 29, 2015
The U. S. Supreme Court ruling of June 26, 2015 recognizes the marriages of same-sex couples. If you have been recently married, or will be getting married, as a result of this ruling—or if you were previously legally married in a state that recognized same-sex marriage—ORS can help answer questions about your pension and insurance benefits. The easiest way to contact us is to log in to miAccount and send a secure message using the miAccount Message Board. Please be as specific as you can. We’ll research your account and get back with you with answers to your questions and suggestions as to what you need to do next.
Published July 2, 2015
- The U. S. Supreme Court decision announced on Friday June 26, 2015 officially recognized same-sex marriages in all 50 states. We are working with the Michigan Attorney General's office and will post more specific information very soon.
Published June 26, 2015
- On Wednesday, August 14, 2013, The Michigan Court of Appeals upheld a lower court ruling which impacts your plan contributions as a state employee and member of the Defined Benefit plan. The ruling is that a key element of a law requiring state employees to pay 4% of their income to remain in the state’s Defined Benefit pension plan is unconstitutional. This ruling is currently being reviewed and the state is determining next steps. During this time, ORS will continue to deduct the 4 percent contribution.
Stay tuned to this page and to our Facebook page for updates on this decision and we’ll keep you informed.
Published August 15, 2013
Other Items of Interest
- Tutorials, Webinars, and Seminars ORS is committed to serving members and employees today and preparing them for tomorrow. With this in mind, we are now offering the following opportunities to learn about your pension plan. See the tabs below for ways you can help yourself learn more.
- Comprehensive Annual Financial Reports (CAFRs)
The Comprehensive Annual Financial Reports contain a wealth of interesting figures and statistics about the State Employees' Retirement System.
Read the latest Connections, the newsletter we deliver twice a year to our retirees.
- Retirement Act: Public Act 240 of 1943
The operation of State Employees' Retirement System is controlled by the State Employees' Retirement Act- Public Act 240 of 1943, as amended.