Welcome to the ORS website for state of Michigan employees who are in the Defined Benefit plan. (Not sure if you're in the Defined Benefit or 401(k) Defined Contribution plan? Click here).
We encourage you to and come back often for important information.
- Welcome to the new look of the State Employees' Defined Benefit Plan website and miAccount! This update is only one of many we'll be making over the next year to make our site more accessible and easier to use.
Published May 5, 2014
Our office will be closed on the following dates:
- May 26 - Memorial Day
- July 4 - Independence Day
- September 1 - Labor Day
State office closings for holidays are regulated by the Michigan Department of Civil Service Regulation 5.08. Public Act 124 of 1865 is the Michigan law governing official state holidays.
Published April 28, 2014
The March 2014 issue of Connections, our semiannual retiree newsletter, is now available. Articles in this issue include:
- Retirement System Financials
- Message from the Director
- Ask an Expert
- When to Contact ORS
- On Wednesday, August 14, 2013, The Michigan Court of Appeals upheld a lower court ruling which impacts your plan contributions as a state employee and member of the Defined Benefit plan. The ruling is that a key element of a law requiring state employees to pay 4% of their income to remain in the state’s Defined Benefit pension plan is unconstitutional. This ruling is currently being reviewed and the state is determining next steps. During this time, ORS will continue to deduct the 4 percent contribution.
Stay tuned to this page and to our Facebook page for updates on this decision and we’ll keep you informed.
Published August 15, 2013
Other Items of Interest
- Tutorials, Webinars, and SeminarsORS is committed to serving members and employees today and preparing them for tomorrow. With this in mind, we are now offering the following opportunities to learn about your pension plan:
- Comprehensive Annual Financial Reports (CAFRs)The Comprehensive Annual Financial Reports contain a wealth of interesting figures and statistics about the State Employees' Retirement System.
- ConnectionsRead the latest Connections, the newsletter we deliver twice a year to our retirees.
- Retirement Act: Public Act 240 of 1943The operation of State Employees' Retirement System is controlled by the State Employees' Retirement Act- Public Act 240 of 1943, as amended.