Welcome to the ORS website for state of Michigan employees who are in the Defined Benefit plan. (Not sure if you're in the Defined Benefit or 401(k) Defined Contribution plan? Click here).
We encourage you to and come back often for important information.
The October 2015 issue of Connections, our semiannual retiree newsletter, is now available. Articles in this issue include:
- From the Director
- Safeguarding Personal Health Information
- Where ORS Retirees Live
- What’s Hot in Social Media
Published October 23, 2015
- In honor of National Save for Retirement Week we're traveling the state with our Voya partners. We'll be sharing information and answering questions, and invite you to join us on these days and locations:
- 10/19: Sault Ste. Marie - Best Western, Banquet Room, 4335 I-75 Business Spur, Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
- 10/20: Gaylord - Holiday Inn Express, 1201 W. Main St., Gaylord, MI 49735
- 10/21: Detroit - Cadillac Place, Grand Ballroom, 3068 W. Grand Blvd., Detroit, MI 48202
- 10/22: Saginaw - Horizons Conference Center, Crystal Room, 6200 State St., Saginaw, MI 49603
- 10/23: Lansing - Capitol Commons Center, Lower Level Conference Rooms, 400 S. Pine St., Lansing, MI 48913
We'll be available between 9:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. to answer brief questions you may have about either Defined Benefit or Defined Contribution Plans. Bring your password if you'd like access your account with an ORS or Voya representative.
Published October 7, 2015
The 2015-2016 Insurance Rates are now available on the Employee Benefits page of the Michigan Civil Service Commission website.
Published on September 2, 2015
- Our office will be closed on the following dates:
- November 11 - Veterans Day
- November 26 & 27 - Thanksgiving
- December 24 - Christmas Eve
- December 25 - Christmas Day
- December 31 - New Year's Eve
- January 1 - New Year's Day
State office closings for holidays are regulated by the Michigan Department of Civil Service Regulation 5.08. Public Act 124 of 1865 is the Michigan law governing official state holidays.
Published December 8, 2014
The Michigan Supreme Court has held that the law requiring state workers who are part of the state pension system to pay 4 percent or switch retirement systems is constitutional. This means that the provisions will remain as they were implemented in 2012 and that 4% contributions will continue to be paid into the system to help fund pension benefits.
Published on July 29, 2015
- The U. S. Supreme Court ruling of June 26, 2015 recognizes the marriages of same-sex couples. If you have been recently married, or will be getting married, as a result of this ruling—or if you were previously legally married in a state that recognized same-sex marriage—ORS can help answer questions about your pension and insurance benefits. The easiest way to contact us is to log in to miAccount and send a secure message using the miAccount Message Board. Please be as specific as you can. We’ll research your account and get back with you with answers to your questions and suggestions as to what you need to do next.
Published July 2, 2015
- The U. S. Supreme Court decision announced on Friday June 26, 2015 officially recognized same-sex marriages in all 50 states. We are working with the Michigan Attorney General's office and will post more specific information very soon.
Published June 26, 2015
- Welcome to the new look of the State Employees' Defined Benefit Plan website and miAccount! This update is only one of many we'll be making over the next year to make our site more accessible and easier to use.
Published May 5, 2014
- On Wednesday, August 14, 2013, The Michigan Court of Appeals upheld a lower court ruling which impacts your plan contributions as a state employee and member of the Defined Benefit plan. The ruling is that a key element of a law requiring state employees to pay 4% of their income to remain in the state’s Defined Benefit pension plan is unconstitutional. This ruling is currently being reviewed and the state is determining next steps. During this time, ORS will continue to deduct the 4 percent contribution.
Stay tuned to this page and to our Facebook page for updates on this decision and we’ll keep you informed.
Published August 15, 2013
Other Items of Interest
- Tutorials, Webinars, and Seminars ORS is committed to serving members and employees today and preparing them for tomorrow. With this in mind, we are now offering the following opportunities to learn about your pension plan. See the tabs below for ways you can help yourself learn more.
- Comprehensive Annual Financial Reports (CAFRs) The Comprehensive Annual Financial Reports contain a wealth of interesting figures and statistics about the State Employees' Retirement System.
Read the latest Connections, the newsletter we deliver twice a year to our retirees.
- Retirement Act: Public Act 240 of 1943 The operation of State Employees' Retirement System is controlled by the State Employees' Retirement Act- Public Act 240 of 1943, as amended.