Skip to main content

I do not have access to my personal IDs or financial records due to an unexpected quarantine caused by COVID-19. How do I rebuild my financial records?

These tips will help you begin to re-establish your financial records. You should call the financial institution’s office first if you are trying to conduct business in person to make sure they have not temporarily closed or restricted lobby access due to COVID-19.

  • Replace your driver’s license or state identification (ID) card. A driver’s license and a state ID card for non-drivers are the most commonly used IDs for proof of identity. These documents should be replaced as soon as possible. Contact your local Secretary of State.
  • Replace your Social Security card. The Social Security Administration’s (SSA) card replacement process requires another form of identification, such as a driver’s license. For more information, call 1-800-772- 1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) or go to and click on “Get Or Replace A Social Security Card.” The website also provides information about Social Security benefit payments at
  • Consider possible replacement of other documents. There are other documents that may serve as proof of identity, such as: Passport, Employer ID card, School ID card, Military ID card, Marriage or divorce record, Adoption record, Health insurance card
  • Replace your credit cards, debit cards, and checks and inquire about your safe deposit box. Contact your financial institution. Once connected, your financial institution should explain the process for replacing your cards, checks, and financial records. If you kept documents in your credit union’s safe deposit box, if needed you may want to inquire to the institution about how you can access your box.