The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Life Insurance and Annuity Search Service (LIAS)
DIFS has created the Life Insurance and Annuity Search Service (LIAS) to help you locate a deceased family member’s life insurance policy or annuity contract that was purchased in Michigan.
How do I submit a request?
- Please click on the link below to complete the LIAS Consumer Request form. Please note that some fields are not required to do a policy search; however, complete data greatly increases the chance that a policy may be located.
- Most insurance companies deem the deceased's social security number as critical for an accurate search; therefore, the social security number is required to submit a LIAS request.
- The death certificate includes a deceased person’s social security number. To request a death certificate of a person that passed away in Michigan, visit the State of Michigan’s Vital Records Office.
What happens when DIFS receives a request?
- At the beginning of each month, DIFS will forward the requests to all life insurance and annuity companies authorized in Michigan.
- The insurance companies will search their records to determine whether they have any life insurance or annuity policies in the name of the deceased. DIFS is not directly involved in the search.
- The insurance companies will respond directly to the requestor ONLY IF they have any life insurance policies or annuity contracts naming the deceased, AND IF the requestor is authorized to receive this information. Contact will not be made to anyone who is not a beneficiary or is legally authorized to receive information regarding the policy.
If you have any questions, please contact LIAS at 877-999-6442 or DIFS-LIAS@michigan.gov.