The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Approved Debt Management Counselor Certification Providers
The Michigan Debt Management Act, 1975 PA 148, as amended, requires an employee or agent of a licensee who engages in financial counseling and debt counseling functions to become a certified counselor. A “certified counselor” is defined as an individual who is certified by a training program or certifying organization, approved by the director, that authenticates the competence of individuals who provide education and assistance to other individuals in connection with debt counseling and financial counseling functions.
The following certification programs or organizations have been approved by the Office of Consumer Finance:
- Partnership for Financial Education - www.financialed.org
- National Association of Certified Credit Counselors - fcnonline.org
- Association of Financial Counseling & Planning Ed - www.afcpe.org
- Institute for Financial Literacy, Inc. - www.Fincert.org
- National Foundation for Credit Counseling - www.nfcc.org
- Arbor Investment Ltd. - www.arbored.com