Skip to main content

How to become licensed as a Non-Resident Surplus Lines Agency

  • Only an agency actively licensed for Surplus Lines in its home state may obtain a Michigan Non-resident Surplus Lines license. It is further required that the agency hold an active Michigan non-resident property and casualty producer license as a prerequisite to the Surplus Lines license. The property and casualty producer license may be applied for prior to applying for the Non-resident Surplus Lines license or done simultaneously.
  • The agency must have an active Michigan licensed Surplus Lines individual producer affiliated with their agency, before a Surplus Lines agency license will be issued.

Steps to become initially licensed:

  • File an Electronic Non-Resident Licensing (ERL) application through the National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR) website. The application/license fee is $110.00 plus a $6.18 transaction fee. An application is valid for six months from the date it was entered into the Department of Insurance and Financial Regulation (DIFS) database. For questions regarding the actual electronic application submission, contact NIPR Customer Service at 855-674-6477.
  • Any “yes” answer to a background question will need to have supporting documentation uploaded to the NIPR Attachments Warehouse.  Please note that disclosures related to individuals affiliated with the agency must also upload their information under the agency’s identification number.

Note: In lieu of an original letter of certification, our office will rely on verification of applicant’s resident licenses through the NAIC Producer Database (PDB).